PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cassiorenan

Lurker
Oct 20, 2018
I just bought some of my first packages of tobaccos 7 seas black and I am wondering if I can leave them in the package or have to put them in a jar?

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Depends on how much you plan to smoke it, and it's also really just up to you. If you're going to smoke it up within the next month or so, I'd just leave it in the tin.
I typically only jar stuff I don't plan to smoke up somewhat soon, but it's all up to you. I've jarred stuff immediately after opening and finished it within a month.
So I reckon, it's kind of up to you,but if you don't plan to smoke it up within 6 months, the longer the tin is open the more I'd suggest jarring.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
I typically go ahead and jar mine. It's just a habit and I dont have to worry about it. But like CCW said, if you're gonna smoke it up within a month then it should be fine. I constantly change up blends from day to day so most end up sitting over a month.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
A long time ago I made it a habit to jar up a newly opened tin almost immediately.

After finding a couple of tins that had been opened about 15 months earlier, it just made sense.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Seven Seas Black will be fine in the original tin for at least a few months after opening. It's heavily cased, so it loses its moisture slower than non-aromatics. The unopened tins will be fine for decades as long as you keep them from rusting.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You didn't specify how many packages or if they were tins or pouches. Sealed tins i'd just age until opened, then smoke them up soon or jar them. If these are pouches, I'd smoke out of one pouch and maybe jar the rest, depending on how fast you smoke. Those are just off the cuff answers, but that's my quick response.

cassiorenan

Lurker
Oct 20, 2018
Since it takes some time before I finish them I bought a few jars as shown in the pic.
20181031-234523.jpg
[/url][/img]

srkays

Lurker
Oct 29, 2018
I like the idea of jars and keeping several different types of tobacco on hand. For a large jar that does not have a humidification device in the lid (stone, metal disk, etc), how do you keep the humidity up? I ordered a small glass tobacco jar that had a humidity gauge mounted in the wooden lid, had a silicon liner to keep out the air and also a loose stone in the shape of a leaf. I assume I would wet the stone, but I don't think it would be a good idea to place it somewhere in the jar with the loose tobacco. Or am I wrong. Appreciate any tips/tricks on how you keep humidity up in storage jars, etc, that have no humidification device. Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.