PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I found that packing the pipe leaving some free space at the bottom of the bowl gives overall a drier, more flavorful and overall smoke with less or no moisture.

Is this found true and used by others?

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
When I learned about the air-pocket method, or whatever other people may call it, it really opened up how to smoke cooler. My cobs never gurgled, but my first Peterson did. Once I started the air-pocket in the Peterson, it really started to smoke well. Once I wasnt worried about running a cleaner through it I had a chance to slow down and relax into the smoke. Subsequently I also learned to dry my tobacco more that I thought I should which aided in tastier smokes. Now I do it depending on the pipe, or blend.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I believe that is often called the "cannonball method", and may be what they refer to as the "Frank method", although I'm not exactly sure. It seems to work just fine, and I find it is easiest to do with a conical-shaped tobacco chamber. If it works for you, by all means, carry on with gusto!

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I will do it using the Air Pocket Method if a tobacco is a bit wet. This way I can exhale a bit through the stem at the end of a puff, kind of like a bellows. I find it helps keep a damp tobacco lit.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
What exactly is this cannonball, frank. air pocket method you speak of?
I have to assume I don't have a moisture problem because I never need a pipe cleaner in the middle of a smoke, but if it enhances the tobacco, I'm al for it.
How do you leave an air pocket at the bottom if you're pressing the top tobacco down?

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Now I do it depending on the pipe, or blend.
With certain ribbon cut blends, ie Sherlock Holmes by Peterson, I'll pinch a clump of tobacco between my fingers and stuff it into the bowl. When I lightly tamp it down it does not reach the bottom of the chamber, thus creating an air pocket.
Other than this method, and again it depends on the blend, I use the gravity feed and the codger scoop. Rarely I'll fold and stuff a flake as I prefer to rub them out.
Most of this I do without much thought or care because the tobacco determines how it likes to be put in the pipe. Too loose is always better than too tight, as I can tamp the ember as I smoke.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Yes sometimes this style has some benefits, mostly I do this with broken flake type tobaccos,they easier to handle

yet this Frank methods sees work best whether with pipes of narrow and deep bowl or conical ones.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
You can also put a pinch of some dry tobacco down there that is not a blend that you otherwise enjoy smoking very much---- I often find that when I get down very low that by then, the tobacco there has absorbed so much juice from tars, oils and moisture that I end up just throwing it out, that way, nothing is wasted.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Well well, I learn something new every day. I do have a pipe with a narrow heel, and 9/10 time it clogs on me after I tamp it the first time, don't have this problem with this cannon ball method anymore :puffpipe:

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
All of my Meers have a small "button" at the bottom to maintain a small pocket of air. I find it aids in smoking and speeds up coloring a little.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
The best airspace I've found is a calabash gourd where the air draw is straight down rather than from the side like a normal pipe. No problems there smoking down to the last grain of tobacco, and never an issue any tars or juice or anything. She smokes cool and clean and dry---- the meerschaum bowl works REAL WELL with the gourd beneath it, and as a benefit, the pipe stays cool to the touch.

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
A gauze in the bottom of the bowl gives a similar effect. The tobacco burns to the last strand too.

Status
Not open for further replies.