PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Hey, I work thirds and there is just about nothing better in life then showing up for work an hour early and smoking a bowl in my car at a nearby car pooling lot. Unfortunately tobacco isn't allowed on the property so that means all the cigarette smokers have to walk across te street on their lunch break to smoke. It's really kind of stupid. But I was just wondering with winter fast approaching is it bad for the pipe to sit in the cold car for 8 hours while I work in a Michigan winter? I only have 1 pipe right now and the sentimental value is through the roof, I would hate to kill my pipe. It's a cob if that matters for anything.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Our winters in Maryland don't get as cold as yours but I do this all the time with no ill effects on my pipes. I have a cob that I leave in my car year round incase I forget my pipe in the morning and it's doing fine. I try not to leave them in the sun though. I usually put it in the glove box.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Awesome that's good to know. Do you know if it would harm the pipe if I were to smoke while the pipe was still cold?

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Brilliant! Haha :) I had never thought to do that, cheers. Will the cold damage the tobacco at all?

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I live in WI and I left my pipe in the vehicle all the time last winter and fired it up as soon as I was out of work and never had a problem. I smoke MM Cobs also.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
All the problems with sudden temp changes that apply with wood (or cob in this case)apply to your pipe. It can cause cracking heating up or cooling to fast. Like I said we dont get many days that the line stays below freezing. I do hold my pipe after filling it a few mins to warm it back up to body temp before lighting.
I would like to add I don't leave my pipes in there in the summer, except that cob. I don't like smoking when its blazing outside anyways.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I smoke outside all winter long. I did see a pipe split while up on the North Slope. My theory is that the temperature difference between the inner wall of the pipe and the outer was simply too vast for the brier to handle. That, or the pipe may have been flawed. Not my pipe thank goodness. It was 50+ below zero at the time.
I never smoked outside when on the "Slope." In the South-central area of the state temps below -20 are rare and I've never given a thought to not smoking when out in a blind shooting photos depending on wind direction and subject.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I left pipes in the car almost every night last year, no problem with them. Do yourself a favor and get a windscreen and pipe bag. Put windscreen on the pipe and throw it in the pipe bag and zip it up while you are leaving it in the car. It cuts down on the smell quite a bit.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Up here in the north we average around -30 in the winter and -50 with the wind chill isn't uncommon. I don't leave my pipes in the truck during winter but packing a bowl inside then going out to smoke it has never given me issues. I have seen cheap "mystery wood" pipes split down the side smoking in winter but never a decent briar. I haven't come across any cob smokers up here so can't speak to them. I have left tobacco in the truck in winter as I always keep a stash in there and I would suggest warming the tobacco in your hand prior to packing the bowl. Just put a pinch in your hand and breath on it for a few seconds does the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.