PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
You just never know where to look, or what folks are selling. Found an un-smoked Tom Thumb Imported Briar among some toy pipes, (bottom of image). $5. It's not a high end pipe, but it's my first briar, and it's a clean one.

36920613790_0438d44d01_c.jpg

Anyone here know about this brand?
I also picked up five unfinished briar mini-bowls as well, drilled and roughed out to an apple shape. Also $5.
I'm gonna light up a bowl of John Bull, and smoke it in my Bamboo Bull and smirk.

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
Anthony, I agree. I've read other post that folks whom smoke'm, do like'm.
I'm just wonder what brand of soap to use in that middle one, (it has a kitty cat sculpture on the front).
The cob is not smoke able. It's a prop, (but I could use the stem for another). I'm assuming all these were either toys, props or for costume.

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
Thank you, Cortez. I saw that earlier. I cannot find any other image of the same style as the one I bought, nor information on the company that makes these. Apparently, Finck's also buys up closed out and clearance. So it's possible whomever made them are no longer in business.
Some things just can't be googled. Could be one of a kind. A gem. Wonder if I should smoke it?
Yeah, I'm gonna smoke it. :)

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
I smoke a Tom Thumb as my go to pipe. I enjoy it quite a bit. One word of caution, make sure the wind isn't blowing in your face when you light up. lol
Occasionally I will pack a second bowl after I finish it, a bowl lasts 8 to 10 minutes for me.
Great price on your pipe. I paid 20 dollars for mine at a flea market.

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
make sure the wind isn't blowing in your face when you light up. lol
Ah, the smell of burnt nose hairs in the morning...
I'm finding it curious that such a nice little pipe has very little reference on the web. Maybe it was a marketing gimmick that at the time didn't fair well and was regarded as a toy, (no real man would be caught dead smoking one)?
I have a few estates coming in the mail. So I'll have something real to compare with. Otherwise, I like it.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
I am sure a larger pipe will offer a better smoke. It is a convenient pocket pipe with a use more like that of a cigarette. Most nonsmoking friends won't mind hanging out with you outside while taking a short smoke break with this pipe.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
I've got a Yello Bole Bulldoggie that size. Didn't realize it was that size when I ordered it. It is briar and gives me a fifteen minute (maybe a little more or less) smoke. Thing delivers

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I tried to fix your picture (it is not showing), but i get a Yahoo internal error at this URL:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4427/36920613790_0438d44d01_c.jpg
(the photo you posted is using both the URL and IMG functions, which wont' work even if the picture site is valid.)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Small pipes are good for a short smoke or sampling, but if you are smoking flake/plug/coin/rope, and you pack it carefully, often a small pipe will give a thirty minute or better smoke. fishnbanjo put me onto small pipes. I always thought they were toys or souvenirs. Now I have a selection of smaller pipes, along with many medium sized and a group of extra large. My extra large would almost go on brad's rack, at least a few.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I wish the edit time for posts was just a bit longer. I will try again.
I found this pair (two different sales on ebay) for the Grabow challenge. The Duke and Crown Duke. The Duke isn't as small as the Tom Thumb, but it is small.
36663648543_bc5e9af0b3_z_d.jpg

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
Nice. I've discovered that there is more than just two holes in a piece of wood. It can't be that simple. My tom thumb smokes and tastes better than my recently restored Frank Medico Standard, and a walnut pipe I also have. I'm about to acquire more examples of the Thumb that need restoring.
It's a pleasant and enjoyable journey, this bad habit I seem to have. I just tell the wife, upon her seeing yet another package in the mail, that it's "research material". :)

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
Looking at your creations, research materials sounds close to the truth.
I wanted to add something I noticed while smoking my Tom Thumb.

Tom Thumb may not be it's correct name. Concerning the engraving on the shank, the "o" in Tom is the same as the "u" in Thumb. While I knew Tom Thumb was a name and knew nothing of Tom Thomb I decided to look it up anyway. I got a lot of internet hits on the name Tom Thomb associated with these little pipes. I didn't research which one is correct but thought you should be able to find more deals by including that name in your search.

Status
Not open for further replies.