PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I am curious what people's practice is in regard to keeping their meerschaums. Do you leave them out in the rack with the rest of your pipes, or do you put them back in their case after each smoke?

I think one of the coolest things about a meerschaum pipe is the case. I used to always return the pipe to its case after smoking it, but lately I have leaving them out in a pipe rack. Partly so that I can look at them with the rest of my pipes, but I also have a notion that it may be good for the pipes to air out between uses. Any thoughts on this?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd dry 'em on the rack then put 'em in the case until next time. I'm not a Meerschaum smoker for fear of extra PAD, but I like to see 'em on Forums.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I own 28 cased pipes and they all go back in the cases after they cool down and have been cleaned. BUT your pipes are your pipes.
I agree on the cases though, they look pretty cool to me. I'm currently waiting on an 1881 cased pipe and it'll definitely live in its case between smokes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't put out my pipes on racks. Cased pipes stay in their cases, the other pipes are stored in special pipe cases fitted for storing anywhere from 12 to 21 pipes per case plus drawers which I use for some of my very small vintage pipes.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Mine all live in their cases. Other than running a pipe cleaner through the stem and the occasional bowl scrape I leave them pretty much unmolested!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Mine are gathered in a large ceramic ashtray, excepting three which actually sit on their own display stands. That's peculiar for me as no one comes round to see them on display.
Letting a meer cool most likely slows the coloring process as the residues quit circulating through the structure. Which is why, back in the day, officers has subalterns continuously smoking their meers.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
None of mine even came with a case. I would only use a case (if I had one) for transportation. I like the idea of open air for my pipes to breathe. My calabashes always sit taken all apart to breathe and aerate. IMO, the tight confines of a closed case only promotes the growth of bacteria and other things. Nothing is more off-putting to me than to see a meer in a dirty case where the lining is all darkened with various stains--- where did that all come from? And how clean can your pipe be if stored in same. I like my pipes out in the air where I can see them, with free air circulation.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
All my meers live in their cases. They are cooled and cleaned before going back in, some cases are works of art in their own way. I have a couple other pipes that have their own cases/fancy boxes that came with them and they live in them as well. The rest of my pipes are on stands or lost in my shop or car.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I love meers, and have several. If I have a case for them, in they go after a smoke, cool-down and maybe a cleaning. I'm not good about the cleaning part for some odd reason.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Protects the pipe from what? Mine sit out readily available to load and smoke. I can see using the case if the pipe is in transit somewhere otherwise, they are piled in the ashtray or sit in a rack. I didn't buy 'em to hide 'em away.

Reactions: Kenster

skaukatt

Can't Leave
I guess at the core of your opinion is, "to each his own", Warren.
If one chooses to leave them out of the case, that's fine for them, it's what they want. As for me, I leave them in the case for protection, protection from whatever and don't choose to pile them in an ash tray. Also, none of my meerschaums would fit in any of my racks - not that I would rack the meer anyway. I choose to leave them in their cases.
To each his own and be happy!

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I too wonder what we would protect them from. Curious...
Yes, to each his own. I only have one meerschaum with a case. The case sits in a nice amber glass ash tray, open, with the pipe sitting in that. I can see them both that way. The others sit in racks out in the open, with no protection... from whatever.
The pipe won't die as long as I own it, from 'exposure'. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.