PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Hey there, I'm just looking for some more tobaccos with a leathery, smooth taste. I'm new to this hobby, and I started with Eileen's Dream but am now converting to English blends. I bought 1 oz of Dunhill My Mixture 965, and I literally fell in love with it. I'm going to order some more pretty darn soon, but I'd like to try another English blend with that similar leathery taste that 965 has. If anyone has suggestions, please post them. I plan to spend about $25-30 minus the 2 tins of 965 I'm going to buy. Thanks!
I forgot to mention, I seem to be rather prone to tongue bite, so if you've experienced tongue bite with any of the tobaccos you're going to suggest, please add that. Thanks again.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Smokingpipes.com is having a 25% off sale on Dunhill tobaccos if you buy 4 or more tins. That being said, I would also suggest Balkan Sasieni, and Mac Baren Vintage Syrian.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Well Dunhill Nightcap is also a big, full smoke. G.L. Pease makes a lot of fantastic latakia blends, Westminster comes to mind, and a lot of people love Gaslight.
Also, while technically not an English tobacco by your definition, I'd recommend MacBaren Old Dark Fired. That is a beautiful, smokey, earthy tobacco.
Chris

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Definitely going to buy Mac Baren Vintage Syrian and Dunhill Nightcap after reading about them. I want to read a little more about Old Dark Fried. Thanks guys.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Where can I buy Presbyterian? I couldn't find it on P&C.
Never mind! I found it on Smoking Pipes. I think I'll order from them this time. Thank you.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Pretty much anything with latakia in it is going to have that leathery taste you're looking for. I like Seattle Pipe club Plum Pudding alot, I've never gotten around to trying GL Pease blends but he's known as one of the latakia Godfathers in the tobacco blending world. Dunhill Nightcap you won't go wrong with. It depends on how much latakia you're after, blends like Corneil and Deihl's Pirate Cake has 75% lat and Star of the East is another blend you can't go wrong with by C&D. It has a big dose of latakia but is really smooth, it gets rave reviews by alot of our members and you can't beat the price. Old Dark Fired is a pretty strong stout tobacco so if you're just getting into the game maybe just try a small amount, it's on the strong side. It does make a great blender you can add to almost anything english though to amp it up if the blend isn't strong enough for you.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Thanks, Andy. I previously smoked cigars and am all for the broad blends, so that one actually sounds pretty darn good. I'm going to sample everything everyone has mentioned so far. Thanks, guys.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'll give a 'nod' to HH 10 to Midnight on this leather list.

I'm expecting a pound of Balkan Sasieni and a half pound of Nightcap tomorrow! Bought in bulk with 25% off and free shipping. (with $100.00 order) @ pipetobacco.com out of TX.

If you like Latakia, you will have fun trying all the various presentations.

Virtually all the G.L.Pease lat offerings have been on my radar.

I'm excited to try C&D offerings too. So many blenders with so many blends.

I'm lucky I've got so much left to try.

Seattle Pipe Club's Mississippi River is a very nice alternative, too. Sweet AND smoky.

I call it tobacco candy, because you just want to keep smoking it.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
To my taste, Latakia blends with Burley

seem to have to leather thing going for

them. Long gone but not pricey is Lane

Limited Medal of Honor. Nat Sherman 536

is another to a lesser degree.

Mike S.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Allow me to second cosmicfolklore's recommendation of Presbyterian Mixture. To that end, here is my review of that tobacco as published on tobaccoreviews.com:
"To paraphrase "The Most Interesting Man in the World" who appears occasionally in television commercials for a certain brand of beer, "I don't often smoke English blends, but when I do I prefer Presbyterian Mixture!" To me, it epitomizes the phrase "classic English pipe-tobacco."
"The aroma in the tin is delicious: wet leathery, smokey, late fall-woods musty sweet, and cow-barn-like ripe. It's one that, if it could be transubstantiated, I would happily chew on for hours in the same manner that my dog worries her favorite marrow bone.
"Presbyterian Mixture's appearance is pleasing, too. Remove the cardboard cover beneath the lid, peel back the clear plastic inner wrap, and you will find substantial strands together with ponderous pieces of light-to-dark brown Virginia leaf, intermixed with Latakia tips that are almost black. It's typically moist, not overly so, but does benefit from some drying prior to use. This is a hefty-looking amalgam that promises solid smoking pleasure.
"It does not disappoint. Using the Frank method to fill the bowl of a favorite Savinelli Oscar, it provides me with a good hour of English ecstasy. I find that this tobacco is at its best when smoked SLOWLY, but then aren't they all? I don't mean that you should sip it. Rather, take a deep draught every minute or two and let it drizzle out of your mouth. Take your time as you contemplate its manifold charms and it will reward you. Become distracted (or simply give in to gluttony) and puff too fast, and it will both bite and kick. Nicotine is here in abundance, but will behave if you treat this mixture with gentleness and respect.
"Without drying I typically need only two pipe-cleaners per bowl; with drying only one. This tobacco reduces to a fine grey-white ash with little dottle. The room note is comforting in the same manor (pun intended) as that of an old, familiar, and favorite hunting lodge, cabin, or library.
"This is a fine English tobacco mixture, and I give it my highest benediction. Amen."
Incidentally, there is (or at least was) an ongoing debate as to whether this mixture actually contained Latakia. I believe that the black tobacco which I mentioned above is that lovely condimental tobacco, but I may be wrong.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Hey rottingcorpse,

I would go with the previously suggested Presbyterian and Star of the East, and I would add G.L. Pease's Westminster, and also Ten Russians. If you like 965 those will be nice.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
I find Early Morning Pipe nice and smokey and leathery especially with a coffee (or for my fellow CDNs - a nice double/double from Tims!)
I'd like to try Durbar as I think it is has the same components as EMP?

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
rottingcorpse,

A couple that come to mind along the lines you're describing (as you liked 965) would be Frog Morton's On the Bayou (or on the Town) and Rattray's Red Rapparee.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I would reccomend GL Pease blends (Chelsea Morning, Gaslight, Abingdon, Meridian), Dunhill (MM965, Nightcap, Early Morning Pipe, London Mixture), McClelland (any of the Frog Morton blends) any of these is a great latakia blend and will give you that great creamy, spicy leathery taste. Good smoking my friend!

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Thanks, Young Frankenstein. And you were right, over the weeks, I've been smoking a lot of the Frog Mortons. My favorite is Frog on a Log. Cellar is tasty but a bit sweet for me, so I have to be in the right mood. I enjoy Town too. I have Bayou coming in the mail. Nightcap is also a wonderful blend. I'll look into the GL Pease blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.