Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Leather Pipe (PAD)

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey everyone, the other week I was at my local B&M and was perusing through the pipes, then I found a pipe that really stuck my interest, it was a leather covered pipe, and thinking back to the thread that ran here about a week or two ago I decided what the heck and bought it so here it is an Ehrlich leather pipe.
     photo IMG_1895_zps599e8de5.jpg">
    I've smoked the crap out of it trying to see if it would get hot and low and behold it never got hot once.
    ~Ron

Ron
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. sfsteves

sfsteves

Well Aged

Login to Send PM

rmason said:
    "I've smoked the crap out of it trying to see if it would
    get hot and low and behold it never got hot once."

or maybe it did, but you just couldn't feel the heat ... sorta like using a hot pad to pull a pan out of the oven.

SteveS
    de gustibus non est disputandum

"If there is no smoking in Heaven, I shall not go." - Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

or maybe it did, but you just couldn't feel the heat ... sorta like using a hot pad to pull a pan out of the oven.
    That is more along the line of what I meant to say thanks for the correction, I've been up doing Calculus for what is pushing 14 hours so I am missing a lot of things in my typing.
    ~Ron

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. tarak

tarak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey, I like it. I've been eyeing leather wrapped pipes. Now the prince shape, not my favorite....but nice score!

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have several Ehrlichs. None of them are leather wrapped though, but they are wonderful smokers! Congrats!

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Unique and a style all its own Enjoy, Ron!

Don Seatter used to have a ton of these leather wrapped pipes he got as a bulk buy from Peter Heinrich in Germany. He's sold them all except for two bulldogs -- French made, NOS (New Old Stock), $45 each:

http://www.jamesislandpiper.com/store.php

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. jkenp

jkenp

Login to Send PM

I found some info about Mastercraft (now on Pipedia) that talked about leather covered.

...copied from M. Gasparini...(Gasparini, to my knowledge is the only maker of leather covered in the world) If you buy a leather covered pipe it was, most assuredly covered by M/G. And you thought the wood in the Grabow COLOR was bad.....outta unrap one of these scrappers.

I think the wood comment a bit harsh. You can build a nice smoker from such briar. So what if it has sand pits and such. The leather makes it an attractive pipe.

P.S. The fellow talking about it was a Grabow VP.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. danindayton

danindayton

Login to Send PM

I bought a leather coverd Grabow pipe many years ago and smoked it a lot. The leather colored to a dark rich brown from the oils in my hands, It was always a good smoke and kept its cool. Eventually the stitching faled and the cover came off. The briar beneath was not all that bad and, it still smoked very well.

So, was my pipe covered by M/G?

I need to find that pipe and add it to the rotation

Danindayton

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. jkenp

jkenp

Login to Send PM

I can't say, Dan, According to Ted, that'd be a yes. If you want to look at the full article:
    http://www.pipedia.org/wiki/Mastercraft

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great looking pipe, I think the leather is very cool looking. My dad once owned one of those leather pipes and it would not surprise me if it was an Ehrlich as he used to take me to that store when I was a kid along with visits to Peretti's. I am glad to hear you enjoy how it smokes, congrats.

Harris
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice pipe. Now, if they'd only make them in an alligator wrap ...

The pipe eases you into the present moment - savor your pipe & you'll savor this moment.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  12. danindayton

danindayton

Login to Send PM

jkenp

Thanks for the llnk. Very interesing. I had a couple of those meer lined Grabows. I don't remember being impressed by the way they smoked. But, I don't remember being disappointed, either. Maybe it was just what ever God awful tobacco I was smoking back then. Some of it was pretty strange.

danindayton
    ilurkalot

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. jkenp

jkenp

Login to Send PM

Yeah, Dan. I had one of those too. Not sure of the branding; it was probably basket grade. I was smoking a black Cavendish in those days with a vanilla essence. I've been smoking a lot of Virginia variants these days -- oh so much more sophisticated, doncha know.

Actually having a problem with them too. Not tongue bite but an irritation at the top, rear of my mouth. Trying to figure it out and actually picked up a bit of the old black stuff that seems more forgiving. Guess what goes around comes around.

As to pipes, I've never really been a big spender. I've managed a nice rack picking up old Algerian briar pipes on ebay. $10-20 investments for the most part but it is a nicer rack IMO than those factory pipes I used to have. A number of them are the Mastercraft pipes that link talks about. Funny that they are cheaper than the pipes I bought in the 70's with 70's dollars.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   americaman, jaytex969, easydraw