PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I just finished up this leather holster for a coworker of my wife's son. His father wanted him to have a sturdy yet nice looking and safe holster to carry his .357 magnum Snubnose in while he's in the woods. The kid (18) is a huge outdoors enthusiast. He's into everything from hunting, fishing, hiking, etc to home done taxidermy. Bill, the father, hasn't seen it yet;

He will pick it up tomorrow. I think he's going to be pleased with it when he does get it.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
photo3-7.jpg

photo2-9.jpg

hunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Canada
Beauty, I love seeing that leatherwork isn't dead, it is one of the many hobbies I want to get into when I buy my own house and have room for it.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
great job! Should carry nice. Hardly ever see straps anymore & great feature, rather have that than a lot of the other retension devices built in.

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
You made that? Seriously?
That's friggin' awesome. :clap:
I wish I had a skill like that. I'd make one for my Ruger P345.

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
That's really nice work, Greg. I hope the kid doesn't shoot full-bore .357s through that snubbie. He will deaf and blind! :)

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words.
Instyimp; The strap is something I put on about 20% of my holsters, depending on the client's preference. The remainder is a slip on/off retainer and no retainer at all, which is the most popular. I fit them well so falling out of the holster isn't something the client really needs to worry about.
Joeahearn: It's a heavy gun, full frame 6-shot model, so magnums would be do-able but not my preference either! .38 or .38 plus-p would be great in it IMO.
Rondyr: Yes sir, it is 100% handmade by me: cut, fit, dyed, edged, the whole 9 yards.
Al: I use my fingers! :lol: All Kidding aside, I hand punch all the slits (not holes) and saddle stitch it all by hand. I use a sewing/lacing chisel (sometimes a spacing wheel) with 3-4 prongs to set the stitch marks and spacing along the top piece. After the top is done I put the back in place and use a diamond-point awl to go through all layers of leather before final stitching it together. I use braided waxed nylon thread, from 2-5 strands thick, depending on the project, and blunt saddlers needles. Let me know if you have more questions, my friend (and that goes for all of y'all!).

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
That is excellent leatherwork. I hope the new owner appreciates all the effort and care you put into making it.

Status
Not open for further replies.