Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, instead of the stand, I ended up using the deerskin to make a sock for my churchwarden. McQueen no longer supplies the leather pipe holsters and the sock from my Vincenzo 'warden is not long enough and a chunk of the stem protrudes.
I don't care much for the drawstrings that just don't stay tied, so I tried a squeeze frame instead. Big mistake: made it almost too short and it's a snug fit, but maybe I can stretch the leather a bit.
Let the rotten tomatoes fly.
CW_deer_sock--01.jpg

CW_deer_sock--02.jpg

I still wanna make the stand for my car, but I think I'll use cheaper leather.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I still wanna make the stand for my car, but I think I'll use cheaper leather.
? Is it a model car? Toy? Yugo?
Elsewhere someone suggested using an old belt that'd make an excellent stand- several actually. Thick enough to stand up by itself.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
See what I have to deal with:
RAV4_passenger_seat.jpg

That broken-off cupholder repurposed as a 'pipe holder' won't hold a churchwarden: you can see how the smooth 'warden completely flipped over upon placing it there (I put it upright). My longer McQueen would be a worse problem. At rest, yeah, it might work, but driving around things won't stay put. The tamper will slide from where you see it all the way beneath the cup holder; fishing it out whilst driving requires me to take my eyes off the road. The cigar rest won't stay put either: it has smooth finish and slides like a water snake and I've already had cigar ash all over the seat.
I need something that will hold a churchwarden upright, and that will stay in place wherever I put it on the seat. When I get some thicker leather I'll make one of those rings; they're not my cup of tea but just to try them out, what the heck, I can sell them if they won't work for me—there seems to be a market for them.
As you can see, there are no other places in my car where I can place my pipe other than the passenger seat:
RAV4_front.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, it is nice work, the sock.
Now I see what "for the car" means. My suggestion is to never smoke a churchwarden in a car.....
I put a small bit of soft leather in the ashtray, and that serves well for a pipe or two.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Obligatory “Why do you need a pipe holder in your Subaru when all you do is vape #CloudCity #VapeNation” comment

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
It seems like you could use the broken cupholder as a base and line it with something that fits holds you churchwarden more securely/snugly. Was that the original intent for your deerskin? Or you could smoke a Lovat :puffy:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Was that the original intent for your deerskin? Or you could smoke a Lovat
In a way, it was. I wanna make leather products for piping: socks, trays, bags, ta— well, haven't figured out how to make a tamper yet, and the like. Guess in a way I'm testing waters with you guys to see what works and what not, and most importantly, what attracts and has possible demand. Deerskin, well, it seems to be not the cheapest material for socks: my cost for that sock was ~$30 CAD, I can't see someone paying $60 for a sock. :roll: But, if things work out maybe I can become a site sponsor, yay. (A man can dream.)
Why, I've wanted a pipe from the Canadian family forever. It's just not becoming, you know, that a Canadian doesn't have a Canadian pipe, or at least a Lumberman. But since I had promised not to buy pipes or tobacco till I had purchased what I needed to get my new venture going I hadn't looked at Canadian pipes seriously. NOW, however, I can! Yay, again. Canadian pipes, here I come...

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I made one. Two actually, but the original one had a glove snap and I found the leather to be too soft for that.
Pipe-sock-I.jpg

The second one was a simple square, but I failed in dealing properly with the squeeze frame: I cut too low.

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Place a cup in the cup holder. Place the pipe in the cup (no beverage!). Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.