PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrapyardape

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 9, 2013
Florida gulfcoast
Ok, here's the deal. I started pipe smoking this past April. I did not seek any advice from anybody.. I just dove right in. (insert eyeroll here) Needless to say, I did everything wrong. Probably my biggest fault was puffing way too quickly and forcefully. The best comparison can be seen in the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OgSNQOTw2U
Yeah, I was THAT bad until a few weeks ago when I started lurking here. (I won't go into how 'wonderful' my tongue and mouth would feel after smoking) I've re-started, so to speak, pipe smoking after reading heaps of postings on these boards, but I still struggle with puffing too fast. What can I do to "train" myself to slow it down even more (other than constantly telling myself to slow down) so that it becomes second nature to me?
I have other newcomer problems and questions, but I really want to focus on this one first. Thanks for any tips you all can share.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Hi scrapey and welcome to the forum
We're you a former cigarette smoker? From what I've read on the forum from former cig smokers it seems that they have the most difficulty adjusting to pipes. Apparently the cig smokers are looking very hard for that 'lung full' feeling that one does not get with a pipe; possibly then you are puffing hard and fast to get that same satisfaction.
Pipe smoking is an art of sorts. It takes time and patience, and above all, practice
There are many you tube videos showing pipe smokers and their cadence, which is very slow. Some would describe it as 'just sipping' on the pipe, very slowly, just barely keeping the embers glowing.
Your first best step is joining this forum, where many members will be happy to share their techniques with you
Good luck and don't give up. It will come

bjarketn

Lurker
Sep 24, 2013
Denmark
I hear you, scrapyardape. Every time I think I've learned it, I'll take it for granted and start puffing too quickly. I accept that I simply do not have the patience to smoke at the extremely slow pace I've seen seasoned smokers do, but I do my best to not let the pipe get too hot. I'm mostly successful, at least more so now than when I got my first pipe. When I got my first pipe, I'd suffer constant mouth burn, simply because of the hot smoke. That has gotten much better.
I'm a former cigarette smoker. In part, I blame my nicotine cravings for the puffing; When lighting up a bowl, I like to feel the nicotine rather quickly. I'm learning the required patience, but sometimes I even inhale a few mouthfuls so as to get some nicotine quickly without smoking the pipe too hot. It seems to work for me.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Sip while smoking, puff while lighting. I haven't gotten that beginner tongue burn since my first week smoking pipes. My only advice is be mindful of it and you should quickly attain auto pilot status and be able to smoke like you'd ride a bike: naturally.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
Welcome to the family Scrapy!
I did the same thing like you. I dove in and didn't get any advice. Not a bad thing because it's going to be a learning process either way.
Anyway, my advice is that this is a hobby, not a race to see how fast you can get to the end of the bowl. That's one of the cool things about pipe smoking is that you can chill with it unlike cigarette smoking. It's meant to savor and enjoy all the qualities and flavors that your tobacco you're smoking has to offer. Also I have learned that all tobacco has it's own personality, meaning not all tobacco will smoke/burn the same. You have to spend time with them to find out if you two are compatible just like a relationship. So have fun with it! It will all work out in the end.
Hope I didn't get too deep. LOL! :roll:

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Welcome! Here is my two cents since I suffer from the same issue - albeit not as much now.
I've smoked a pipe for years and really until this year when I started getting onto forums (and finally settling on this one) have I learned to slow down a bit and seriously cut back on the tongue bite. Since I primarily smoke aromatics its doubly hard since they tend to be the worst - at least for me. I've found all my straight pipes that aren't bent tend to be the worst for me.
Also someone posted about how awesome biotine mouth wash is. It is, and it helps when it happens.
I've also found that certain aromatics tend to be way worse than others, so paying attention to the reviews on tobacco - many will point out if it smokes "hot" or has bite. Sutliff Maple Street tends to give me more problems than Moloto Dulce which I never have any issues with. Russ monthly blend - the cinnamon roll - also no problems. On the other hand Altadis (now sutliff) Chocolate Truffle burns hot for me and gives me bite if I don't slow down.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Take whatever is the most bitey blend in your arsenal and only smoke that for a month, when your tongue gets burnt, stop smoking until it heals fully. If said blend still bites you after a month, pitch it and look for something else. Yes, this is how I originally learned lol! You will eventually learn to slow down and when to tell if a certain blend just bites too much to have around, pretty quickly. Making sure they are dried properly first is key, a wet blend will smoke hot no matter the technique unless your tongue is made of iron, some have those tongues and I am very jealous.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I've found some tobaccos will always acquire full attention while smoking - I often select my tobaccos based upon what I'm planning to do. If I want to read or work on something else, then I'll pick an easy-going blend. If I can give my full attention to the pipe, then I'll smoke something a little more temperamental. Maybe one day my technique will be so ingrained I can smoke anything, but until that time comes, I remain very mindful when smoking certain blends.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
Bah, dont' listen to all these forum grampas that can't handle a little heat in their bowls! why slow down? Where's the fun in that?...Get yourself an extra long churchwarden and puff like a demon till the bowl disintigrates, by the time the smoke travels through that lonnnnnng stem to your mouth, it's as cool as a beach breeze. Ahhhhh. Problem solved! :puffy:
:wink:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
With me any frustrating experience that occurs with the pipe in my mouth makes me smoke too fast. If I can't get the flavor I think I should get, I smoke faster. If I can't fix the draw, I smoke faster. If it's taking me longer to navigate on a site I already know, I smoke faster.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Oh well that explains it I just have to get another church warden! LOL Wish I figured this out 20 years ago! :puffpipe:

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
SOme of the best advice I received was this... when the pipe is empty, draw through it so it does not whistle at you. If you're getting a whistle, slow down. Once you have the draw down, pack the bowl so the tobacco is springy, and that draw you already perfected is just slightly restricted. From here follow proper lighting techniques, and never draw harder than already practised.
This really helped me in the beginning.

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
Aside from going locomotive with a churchwarder, try clenching as an aid to help slowing down. Here's a link full of tips posted here earlier by member Kashmir. Kashmir's advice has certainly helped me enjoy the pipe.
http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2013/09/04/newbie-tips-web-links-for-the-uninitiated-eric-boehm/

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I just stick the pipe in my mouth and just breathe. That's my tempo, and makes for a long, slow, cool smoke.
A person watching me smoke from a distance, would probably think that I never even puff, and that I'm just holding the pipe in my mouth, as you would see very little smoke come out my mouth. More wisps of smoke coming out the bowl from me breathing thru my pipe. Probably 2 breaths between sips? Never counted. It's sub-conscious. I take very small sips, and saaavvvoooouuuuurrrrr it. I find this also gives the best nicotine absorption and a good buzz!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
my advice is that this is a hobby, not a race to see how fast you can get to the end of the bowl. That's one of the cool things about pipe smoking is that you can chill with it unlike cigarette smoking. It's meant to savor and enjoy all the qualities and flavors that your tobacco you're smoking has to offer. Also I have learned that all tobacco has it's own personality, meaning not all tobacco will smoke/burn the same. You have to spend time with them to find out if you two are compatible just like a relationship. So have fun with it! It will all work out in the end.
Excellent advice, here.
And welcome to the forum, and the gentle art of pipe smoking. :puffy:

waxmojo

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2013
Lots of great advice but it does me no good at all. No matter how hard I try to sip slowly, if the tobacco has a great flavor I get greedy and want more. And I want it now so I puff up a storm then again try to slow down until my greedy self comes back.

jservant98

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2013
Southern Oregon
I am fairly new to smoking a pipe but I can say from reading this forum, slowing down on my puffing has helped tremendously. I think this also helps reduce tongue bite which I have experienced way to much! Thanks for the great advice..

scrapyardape

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 9, 2013
Florida gulfcoast
It is beginning to work for me.... unless I get distracted and fall back into locomotive mode. I can now actually taste the tobacco instead looking for the 'mouthfeel' that a big cloud of smoke can give. (Ugh.. used the word 'mouthfeel')

Status
Not open for further replies.