PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Hey guys, just curious about your experiences with rope tobaccos. I bought a few ounces of SG Brown No. 4 Twist today? Is there much of a difference between that one and the GH Brown Irish? How about to the black versions?
I'm looking to quit smoking cigs again, and I needed something strong. Was hoping the local B&M had some GH&C Dark Flake in, but they did not. They did have the SG black and brown twists, though. How about in terms of mixing these with other tobaccos? In another thread, one poster suggested mixing it 50/50 with Dark Flake, and another said VAs do well. Any suggestions?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I like them because they are strong flavorful smokes, but can also be chewed when im fishing or doing shit, which gives me a nice nic-hit without making me want to puke like dip does. And it doesnt taste like crap like dip either. This way on fishing trips or moose hunting all i have to bring is a pipe and some rope. Super easy, super light, super unspillable. The chewability is an added bonus moose hunting as well, since it doesnt produce stanky smoke in the field for the moose to catch wind of, but I can also smoke it at night in camp. I like the GH ones best, happy bogie (brown rope), sweet rum roll twist, and sweet whiskey roll twist are my faves.
I dont like the black ones as much, particularly the SG XX. They taste funkier and arent as strong because of the added processing.
Wow that post made me sound like an addict, haha.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Meh, I'm a nicotine addict. You'll get no judgment from me. That's why I'm seeking them out.
Do you chew the X sized ropes as well, or is that limited to the bogie and pigtail sized ones? Do you slice a coin and toss it in your mouth, or rub it out into leaves? Sorry for the dumb questions, but the only chew I've used is like Levi Garett, Copenhagen and snus.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Not dumb at all. Yesh Ive chewed the GH irish X and SG black xx. I like the bogie and twist ones better. And again, the brown ones are stronger. I slice off a coin, rub it out a little bit, just until it has some spring to it, but is still kind of a mass between my fingers. Kind of like the fold and stuff method for flakes, then just shove it in my lip, usually further back. Then kind of rub it against my gums to produce flavor and moisture to get get it going then every once in a while to keep it going.
The nic hit is more like redman or levi and it chews pretty much like those. Ive never been able to tolerate cope or any other dip without vomiting.
When i smoke them i just cut off a couple coins and rub them all the way out and give them a little dry time. Particularly the black ones, as they tend to be a bit more moist. Some people just pack the coins, but I haven't ever tried it that way.
Also just sent you a PM

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The black ropes have been painted/coated with vegetable oil and slow cooked.
They are an acquired taste.
The takeaway? Buy only smaller amounts of the black ones to start. You might not care for them (I never have).

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
I have smoked the Black Cherry Twist and the Sweet Whiskey ropes. I would be in the minority that did not find them very strong. That is not to say they are not or that I have a high nicotine tolerance. Even Black Frigate gives me more of a nicotine hit that the above ropes (Royal Yacht too). From what I read on the forum, this is unusual. If you are looking for strong, ropes are a good place to start. That said, even the flavored ropes carry nice tobacco flavor. The flavoring is not overdone. I have a tin of Black XX but I have not opened it yet.

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
I've been learning the ropes over the last few months. I have some GH Sweet Whiskey rope and Country Squire Sweet Maple rope, and I've got a technique down that seems to work.
I use a really sharp Chinese cleaver to cut them into a few thin coins, then I rub them out and let it dry for a good 24 hours. Both of these are a bit strong for my taste and I don't think I'll be going to them too often, but the process is kind of fun to do once in a while.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
The black ropes have been painted/coated with vegetable oil and slow cooked.
They are an acquired taste.
So that's why they taste like &^%$ing vegetable oil!
I've never liked the black ropes, either, but the brown ones are good. I prefer the bogie/pigtail ones as they seem a little sweeter -- kind of like cigars, the wrapper to filler ratio makes a difference.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
I'm actually on my second bowl of the Brown No. 4 twist this morning. Preparing the smoke was much easier than I expected. Much easier than a plug in my experience. Just used a cheap double-bladed guillotine cigar cutter to slice off several thin coins, rubbed them out, and then cut the ribbons into shorter pieces with scissors.
Flavor-wise, it's quite a bit mellower than anticipated. I find it quite nice. Not really cigar like. My understanding is this is an all Virginia fire-cured blend, and between the different leaf, and presumably, different woods used in the fires to cure it, the flavor experience is definitely mellower and less BBQish than American dark-fired Kentucky made with Burley. It does deliver a healthy dose of nicotine, but it's nothing to be afraid of. I like it.
Would be curious to know if people mix it with different tobaccos and what seems to work well for them...

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I agree, nothing cigar-like in the flavor.
I mix it with War Horse Bar as it amps up the earthy tobacco flavor and cuts the marshmallow flavor somewhat.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have to agree as well, not really like a cigar. Even cigar leaf blends don't really come close, they are a whole different thing and really shouldn't draw comparisons.
Yeah, the nic hit is strong for pipe tobacco, but for a cigarette smoker, etc. there just simply isn't any pipe tobacco that is going to get you there unless you inhale it. But the ropes are the closest I've had so far.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Interesting. Just sliced off a club and tossed it in the chomper. A coupler of chews to loosen it up and stuffed it in my upper lip. I like it better than Garrett or Redman. The brown twist is way less sweet. Again quite a bit mellower than the KY fire cured tobacco in the mouth as well. Not bad!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Yeah, it's not bad at all. The sweeter ones (rum roll twist, whiskey roll twist, black cherry roll twist, etc.) from GH are pretty good too, a little more flavor, but not as sweet as red man or anything like that, not all raisiny. GH Happy Bogie (Brown Rope) is definitely my fave so far though, for both smoking and chewing. Rope tobacco is pretty handy shit.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
I tried chewing the Black Cherry Twist once and it didn't do it for me. This thread is encouraging me to give it another go, both chewing and smoking.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Honestly, I find General Loose snus to be close to my ideal of oral tobacco, but the salt and bergamot content really screws up my palate for enjoyment of cigars and pipes. I'll probably only chew any of the rope if I'm in a situation where I need a hit of nicotine, but where smoking isn't convenient.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I'll probably only chew any of the rope if I'm in a situation where I need a hit of nicotine, but where smoking isn't convenient.
Exactly! Fly fishing, Moose hunting, flying the plane, building shit, in the office, etc. Regardless of what tobacco I plan on smoking during a trip I usually bring a chunk of rope with me in addition on any adventure just so I have the option. More often than not I end up utilizing it at least once.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Molasses in American chewing tobaccies give You a nice boost of energy,I use these seldom yet sparely,mainly when smoking is not suitable and when I'm in need of extra boost&nicotine,definitely very addictive stuff,probably due to sugary-raisiny taste

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Interesting. I jnever really thought of the sweetener as contributing to the effects of the tobacco, but I can see how the combination of nicotine, sugar rush, and sweetness can be so addicting.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
very addictive stuff,probably due to sugary-raisiny taste
Gonna go ahead and throw nicotine out there as the primary ingredient responsible for the addiction, hahaha.
When it comes to taste, burn, bite, etc. however, the omnipresent, omnibenevolent (and omnipotent?) relationship between sugar and tobacco will be found in everything from the cheapest chewing tobacco to the finest cigar. The sugar present in tobacco is as important as the tobacco itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.