PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Browsing these forums, I've always envied those who turn out such impressive restorations on estates. So, I've been doing some studying on the subject and started playing around with doing some buffing and polishing on some of my pipes. I recently picked up this nice little poker off the bay for a pretty good price and decided to take a crack and doing a little more in depth clean up.
Obviously I'm still a rookie at this but I was impressed with how well this one cleaned up. Not bad at all for the whole $17 I paid for it. I'm no where near ready to start tackling some of the advanced stuff but I'm looking forward to learning more as I go :)
*I did not restain this. Just the lighting difference between the ebay pic and my iPhone camera.
stag-poker-before.jpg

stag-poker-after.jpg

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
Cleaned up real nice. Sometimes you get lucky on the bay and all it needs it a little TLC like the one you picked up. The rim turned out well. Can be a crap shoot if you can get all the residue off without getting into the briar. FYI the black rouge that Harbor Freight sells works really well on stems. I dont know why but it only took maybe a minute vs the hard stuff that takes forever to get the oxidation off.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Nice job Mike! You just saved that baby and gave it another chance.
I'm not the world's greatest restorer, but there are just so MANY good pipes out there that just need a little work.

Status
Not open for further replies.