PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
After several years of only smoking mainly RLP-6 and 1Q I decided to leave the safe shores of what I know and venture into other types of tobacco. I first bought some Carter Hall and PA. These I enjoyed and was able to get to smoke really well from the start. However, I next ordered some tobacco with latakia in it (FM Cellar and FMATP) and I am really enjoying the flavors but it has been like learning to smoke a pipe again with these tobaccos. A lot of relights, bad packing, tongue tenderness etc. I guess I am going to have to learn how best to smoke these new tobaccos. It is a little frustrating to say the least.
I figure that I will get there, but man I was not ready for how much I would have to relearn.
Thank you for reading my frustrations. I needed to post this somewhere.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Are you smoking them straight out of the tin? Sounds like it might be partially a moisture issue? If so let it dry for a little bit first. Just pull out about how much you're going to smoke on a piece of paper and kind of spread it out. And I can say packing frog morton at first an be a little weird. I remember starting off smoking it, the leaf just seems to not want to pack as easy as quite a few others. But the frog mortons are wonderful smokes.

B

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
I will say that the cut of the FM blends, or something, makes them pack up tight and need a relight or too. I can't seem to avoid it either.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Protestantpipe has this spot on. FM will pack very tight if you apply a method to packing it, at least in my experience as well. I usually fill the pipe, lightly push it down and then just fill and level off. Sometimes lightly is as little as a 1/4 inch in some pipes. Any time I have applied the 3 step or air pocket or any other method it is always packed too tight and ruins a really good tasting tobacco.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I use a hand-made pottery bowl we picked up at a charity event to spread out tobacco to dry it

before packing the bowl. Or sometimes I'll pack the pipe the night before. Drying most tobaccos

out a little smooths out the smoke a lot. The pottery bowl also works for mixing tobaccos, if

you like to do that. It takes at least a little know-how, but you can get some pleasant combinations

without attaining the level of a tobacconist. You learn a little about what works. A small quantity,

like 2 oz, of Latakia makes a nice blending tobacco. If you are mixing with some fairly fine cut, you

can use scissors to reduce the Latakia leaf so it burns evenly with the other tobacco(s). Don't try to

do all this at once; these are just some ideas about how you can develop your sampling.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I smoke mainly Latakia forward blends, and, like many VA flakes, they do need to be dried out first. I also have small unglazed pottery bowls that I use for this purpose. Sometimes, the night before, I'll place about a quarter to a third of a 50g tin out to dry. The next morning the first bowl may still be on the moist side and burn wet, but come the second, third through fifth bowls, these will be spot on. Another option is to load up your tobacco pouch, leave it unzipped overnight, zip it in the morning, then as the next three days progress the tobacco will have a chance to dry out as you load successive bowls. Often my best smokes will be the last few bowls out of my tobacco pouch. In my opinion drying tobacco out is a critical step that rarely gets mentioned, with so much focus placed instead on proper packing. Wet tobacco will produce steam no matter what packing technique you use.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Here is what I am hearing, dry that tobacco. I am going to give this a try, I have been letting it dry for a few minutes, but I am going to increase the dry time and pack it looser.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
Over the years I have been where you are now. To a great degree I have enjoyed the challenge of trying different different tobacco blends and experimenting. Keep an open mind and beware of the moisture content, bowl packing, lighting and other characteristics of each blend and tobacco manufactures and enjoy the experience.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
A word of advice from a fellow learner. Let it dry more than you think wise. It's only a bowl full. You'll learn for each tobacco your own preference for moisture level.

Status
Not open for further replies.