PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
So I took a little break from forum life for a while, as I do from time to time, mainly because I had gotten away from pipe smoking for a while and found some good snus that was available locally, and the snus intake pretty much replaced my smoking. I still lurked the forum, and after a couple of months I picked the pipe back up, and started radically altering my technique. I followed a few tidbits of advice on this forum that have helped me massively in the last month or so:
1. I dont remember who dropped this little tidbit of advice, but this one was a game changer, and I'm paraphrasing here, but it boiled down to:
"Sipping" the smoke isn't about the amount of smoke that enters your mouth, but the speed at which it enters your mouth."
Learning this makes my pipes SO much more enjoyable as I think I had been relighting too much and not using proper cadence. My number of relights is way down and my pipes actually smoke cooler to the touch since I'm not relighting so damn much. I take a lot longer, slower puffs which helps to keep the ember going longer and my taste buds and pipes are thanking me.
2. Smoking the same tobacco all day, multiple bowls a day, every day, totally ruins the flavor of it after a while. I started smoking a bold Burley blend when I first got up in the day, then would smoke 2 to 3 bowls of whatever tin I had open at night. After a while, the tobacco lost its flavor and made me disinterested in that blend. But then I figured out that a burley, followed by an English, back to a burley, to an aromatic, to a Virginia, the taste buds get all kinds of different flavors that really pop and makes me appreciate the tobacco much more. Switching up my tobacco selection throughout the day made me get the most flavor out of each bowl.
3. Meerschaum pipes pretty much kick ass. Just sayin'. :mrgreen:

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Pipe Novelist

"So I took a little break from forum life for a while..."
All good points. I have smoked a good number of years. Learning to pack it right and use wooden matches has improved my smoking experience light years. I will say from my experience so far, some tobacco blends just stay lit better than others. I have also read this on a great many tobacco reviews. I stopped smoking ( cigarettes ) for 25 years and when I came back to my first love, the pipe, inhalation was not needed.
Good on ya Pipe Novelist!

Status
Not open for further replies.