PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

john019

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2018
So I bought a group of pipes on line to restore and resell. One of the pipes that was in the group was a Comoy's Silver Shadow with a Lucite stem. I don't know if the stem was original to the pipe, but that wasn't the issue. The issue was the stem smelled like, and looked like it survived a house fire. I was able to sand off the soot, but the smell wouldn't come out, and it was VERY overpowering. So after several different attempts of trying to vanquish the aroma, I decided to try some acetone. I put the stem in a jar with some acetone in it, and let it soak over night. Well, that was not a good idea. When I got to it this morning, it looked like snot on a stick. Atleast the smell of house fire was gone. :laughat:
pc270041-600x449.jpg
pc270044-600x449.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Plastics and solvents -- whoever knows what will happen. You need a consulting chemist with experience in the plastics industry.

john019

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2018
The plus side was if I wanted to shape the stem with a nice bend, the acetone soften the stem that it would take almost any shape I wanted.

As far as the draw? I would say it was a bit "tight" considering the bore hole fused together. Teeth marks? There are no stinking teeth marks. The acetone melted them away. This thing did a full "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark face melt".

Status
Not open for further replies.