PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I'm wanting to get into making my own "house" blends and was wondering if any one had and experience with these sites or know of another place to buy whole leaf tobacco. I'm growing a few plants over this summer but want to buy some other types of leaves to experiment with. So any help/tips while going into this endeavor will be most helpful. Thanks in advance.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Thanks for the question. I am also interested in both of them, but mostly in cigar leaves. I am looking forward to start rolling my own cigars. Hopefully someone will chime in.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
haven't tried the latter but Leaf Only was awesome. Both leaves (Organic Virginia, Nicotiana Rustica) arrived without any flaws, and I was able to grind them effortlessly after a month of drying indoors. This was after I received it in South Korea, which took about two weeks.

Reactions: hyperstar

derhammer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 7, 2018
New Zealand
I believe some members have been ordering from them due to the ridiculous pipe tobacco prices in NZ.

Maybe they can offer some tips.
I found this from a forum next door: Blend Your Own

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
This is a great site.

https://fairtradetobacco.com
You'll find a lot in there about blending as well as growing. Whole Leaf Tobacco is associated with them some kind of way. When I was first playing with whole leaf I ordered from Leaf Only for a while, all cigar leaf. Their quality was good, but their postage is ridiculous. I've never ordered from WLT, but there are many people whose opinions I respect on fairtradetobacco who recommend them highly. And their postage is more reasonable as I remember.

papawhisky

Lurker
Jan 29, 2019
Austin, Texas
WLT is the site sponsor for Fairtradetobacco.com, which is a forum primarily about home growing tobacco, rolling cigars, and blending your own pipe tobacco. Great forum with friendly members always willing to help you out if you are having difficulties with something. Also, the sponsor is very hands off within the forum which is nice.
The pipe blending sub-forum has been fairly active lately, so if that is what you are interested in I recommend checking them out regardless on where you make your purchase from. I've been having a lot of fun making home blends myself based on recipes posted there.
I have ordered from both several times. I have been impressed by the quality of leaf from both suppliers, and they do not seem to have much overlap in cigar varieties, so if you are looking for a specific leaf, then only one or the other typically caries it. Seem to have similar pipe tobacco selections. However, WLT just got a supply of Turkish Basma that members are raving about. Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.