PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
Bought my first batch of whole leaf to blend a plug. Half of it consists of broad, thick stems. We’ll see what happens.
zh5ZQrj.jpg

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
How would I do that? Douse everything in vinegar like McClelland?

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
Fascinating, thank you. You wouldn't happen to know if there is a sound technique to deveining tobacco do you? I did check the forums.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
I see, thank you again. It is clear by weight that the stems are a significant portion of the leaf. The process looks laborious.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Laborious indeed. It's done by machine now, but at one time thousands of sharecroppers and migrants were employed in barns across the country doing the work.
howell-and-part-of-his-family-stripping-tobacco-bowling-green-ky-1917-picture-id104050669

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Fascinating... I'll be interested in what you think of the process and whether you like this level of control.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
I'm always up for an adventure. After 12 years of smoking a pipe it feels great to actually put something together on my own, apart from basic blending. I'm not quite sure how to handle the casing, which will be Brandy and Treacle, and what proportions to use. But it will be fun figuring it all out.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Calcium Propionate will not dissolve in alcohol, just keep that in mind. You can dissolve the sugar in with the Propionate though, if it looks like you might have too much fluids.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
Ack! I already bought the calcium!! I'm new to this, and it seems like you have a serious amount of experience. If I dissolve the treacle in the Calcium, it should work?

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
By the way, you are a tobacco sage. Thank you for all that you know and your willingness to share it with people like me.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The calcium is a powder. It will dissolve in hot water. Just use it as directed and you'll be ok. The treacle will dissolve in the brandy, especially if you warm it up.

FWIW, I'm no great blender, I'm just eternally curious about stuff.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I'd suggest skipping the flavoring idea for now. Just shred and blend some pure tobacco so you get an idea what it's all about. Later on you can play around with flavoring. For instance, a 60% Flue cured and 40% Izmir makes a nice blend. Try it out in it's "pure" state. Also, if you decide to get serious you'll want to consider getting a good tobacco shredder.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
No shredder on hand. I was very seriously contemplating buying a pasta machine hand crank. Any thoughts on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.