PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I have been smoking these two blends now for a few months now and I think I'm due to make a comparison (for others to relate).
I find myself wondering if I have a sensitivity to Perique. Here's why I think so; When I smoke LBF for a few days I find my gums will be sensitive to the touch and get a little red. When I smoke OGS, the same thing happens but not to the degree of LBF (don't worry, it's not that serious). I find when I remove the Perique circle in the LBF it makes for a nice smoke with VERY little bitterness from the P. Comparing OGS to LBF without the P in the middle thet are close to each other. I honestly think that leaving LBF to age for a few months helped mellow it out, but the P was still bitter to me.
I want to try out some different Va/VaBur blends. I find my palate to be very selective and I can pick up on little hints of flavors in the tobacco. I enjoy smoking different blends and with me having an open mind of most things I'm willing to try pretty much anything. What would ya'll recommend as some nice Va, or VaBur's?

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Like they said the circle is cavendish not perique, and i like the LBF alright, but it's just ok. I have a couple ounces coming in tomorrow to revisit it. What i really like is the Luxury Navy flake because it doesn't have the cavendish. Mcbaren Roll Cake is about the only thing with Cavendish that i've really cared for. Though admittedly I was looking forward to trying it because I found an old pipe tobacco tin of my grandfathers and it was Mcbaren roll cake.

B

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Upon reflection, your observation that OGS and LBF without the core are similar is pretty astute.

They would then both be VaPers. This prompts me to suggest that you stick with VaPers for a while.

You may think you would prefer Va/Burleys based on the tin description of OGS, but there is no Burley in OGS,

despite what the tin description claims. It's really Perique.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I'd recommend you try Mcclelland's Red Cake 5100. It is my first love when it comes to VAs, and I recommend it to everyone. If you want to try something a little different with a condimental amount of Perique, then I'd recommend G.L. Pease Cairo. It is a Va/Oriental/Perique, and the Perique is really just a tiny little hint that I find perfect to complement the other flavors. It seems to do best when smoked slow and packed a little on the light side.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Roth said, "IMO, OGS doesn't seem (to my taste anyway) to have any Perique at all."
Kevin and I have this little joke about it. Kevin happened to mention to Orlik Factory Manager, Troels Juul Mikkelsen, that despite the tin description on "Little Red" (square tin), he couldn't taste the Burley in OGS. Troels responded by disclosing that there is no Burley in OGS. The label is supposed to read "Perique".
So I chimed-in that it must have been the Perique that Kevin wasn't tasting! :lol:
Read about it in Orlik Golden Sliced Update - No Burley, Yes Perique, from 2 years ago.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I thought the centre was perique lol (duh). Oh well still learning. I like it better without it anyway.
When I tried my first round of LBF I smoked 2oz in about a week and a half, some with the centre and some without. I found it to be a little spicy on the tongue but a smooth smoke. The second batch I had come in had alot of bright leaf in it and it wasn't as spicy. I have let it sit 2mo in a vac sealed jar (closed hand tight and boiled for 5min). Maybe the heating did something to the tobacco, IDK, but it tasted nothing like the last batch I got. I might try the 'cooking' method mentioned being done with EF on some OGS tins and see what I get.
I will do an experiment with some LBF tomorrow evening. I will take some and boil it in a jar for 10min and some in another jar for 20min. Seal them for 60d then try them out. Has anyone done this or something simlar?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I "rushed" a tin of Reiner Long Golden Flake #71 by cooking it in an oven at 180° for 6 hours.

Bradley does something very similar to some of his tobacco.

My tobacco turned out pretty good; but then again, I was more worried about spoiling it by effin' around. Rookie anxiety. :oops:
Since you have Mason jars, I presume, why not try it? Just use aluminum foil instead of the rubberized lid.

Screw the threaded ring down and bake a batch.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would recommend trying Solani Silver Flake and Mac Baren Old Dark Fired for Vaburs and the new Capstan Blue Flake for a great tasting straight Va flake.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Thanks cigrmaster! I was looking at MacB's Old Dark Fired (since I like MacB's products)

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I'm not much into VApers. But I do like VAburs. Old Dark Fired is an amazing smoke. Try some, and treat it with care.

Status
Not open for further replies.