Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Layers

(21 posts)
  1. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I find these days I seldom smoke a blend straight from the tin or jar tiring of the same taste all the time, I more often either mix 2-3 blends together in some fashion to create a taste I want or layer 2-3 tobaccos bottom to top in the bowl. Am I pretty alone in this habit or do many others here do that as well and why?

To Master Po: Is it not being able to see that makes you tire of life?
    Master Po: No! It is being able to hear!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do that often when I am at home, never when on the road. Sometimes it's because I have some fairly dry tobacco that I want on the bottom, and just right stuff for the top. Other times it's to get a change in taste, sometimes it's an expensive tobacco on top and a cheaper one in the heel. So far, never more than two.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. nukesimi

nukesimi

Login to Send PM

The parfait! I did that often when I began smoking but stopped when I found blends that I appreciated for their own idiosyncracies.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Indeed, the Parfait! I do that sometimes with the top two thirds being Virginias, and the bottom layer with Pirate Kake to get a major Latakia blast at the bottom of the bowl.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. akfilm

akfilm

Login to Send PM

Sometimes I have a little left over in the can, and I'll combine the similar styles together to smoke.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. wlrountree

wlrountree

Login to Send PM

I've mixed some together but never layered. Might have to try that.

You can't learn to ride a horse by watching it run around in a pen
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. mayfair70

mayfair70

Felis Nicotiana combustus

Login to Send PM

I started doing it randomly when I first started, but it's a daily occurrence now. Tasty.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made. -Groucho Marx
    Mouse-catcher on The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. anthony416

anthony416

Login to Send PM

Yes, the Parfait for about 40% of my smokes.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I just put the sweepings from the desk into a bowl. The dust provides a special note, not unlike a burning jockstrap.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. alexnorth

alexnorth

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never tried it but now I will! Any specific types that you find complement one another particularly well?

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lots of different combinations work for different reasons, sometimes with stuff you'd never think would go together. You just have to try stuff and see. Last night I took about a third each of St. James Woods, Cult BRM and Sutliff Strawberry Delight and set them out to dry a bit, cut the Woods up into smaller pieces and mixed them well and stuffed all into a meer, then set it aside to marry while I ate dinner. The after dinner results were grand! Far more depth than any one of them alone.

I've used up to four in a bowl, one for the very bottom to take all of the tar and to be more or less thrown away, and one for just on top to take the charring light, and two in the middle 80% for the real smoke. Sometimes it is just to use up bits and pieces of a smoke that I don't otherwise care for or to use a more flavorful tobacco to spruce up something with less flavor. On another thread someone just found that out mixing 10 Russians with Pirate Kake.

But if you think about it, many commercial blends have many tobaccos in them and I've made up my own blends too that had scraps of many old complimentary tobaccos I was trying to use up, so what is the difference? But I enjoy the layers for how each tobacco's different cut compliments the next and how the flavoring changes as you burn down through the bowl.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For folks who don't know the word, a parfait is a dessert that is layered with different flavors and colors in a tall usually stemmed glass. I've tried these, but find that mixing the tobacco and smoking it in a wide-bowled pipe develops more interesting interactions. But a parfait is definitely worth a try, especially with distinctly different tobaccos.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

kuroneko

Login to Send PM

I've tried mixing but not layering. Have to do that sometime.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. akfilm

akfilm

Login to Send PM

I did a parfait a couple days ago with midnight rider base, early morning pipe middle, and vintage syrian top.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

While I like the idea of a tobacco parfait, I just can't work up the energy to do it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. whitesands77

whitesands77

Login to Send PM

Gonna try this one. The Va with Pirate Kake sounds delightful! Two very different tasting tobaccos.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pease Westminster with Haunted Bookshop on the bottom. Great stuff.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 2 years ago #
  18. bryguysc

bryguysc

Login to Send PM

I'll occasionally layer.
    I often add a kick of blending latakia or perique to a flat blend.
    I have two "shelf blends." A vaper and an English. Instead of tossing the extra left from packing a bowl back in the original tin, I toss in in it's respective shelf blend jar. The vaper jar is actually amazing!

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I mix, layer, or insert more often than not anymore. I've surprised myself with slow, nearly imperceptible transitions. I had a nice surprise over the weekend pushing Orlik Golden Sliced rubbings onto an underloaded bowl of Frog Morton Cellar. Sometimes I like to put a blob of something into something, like a blob of a cherry aro wrapped in a Kentucky/Virginia. Coins of rope embedded in a small pile from the "Franken-blend" jar ...

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Indeed, the Parfait! I do that sometimes with the top two thirds being Virginias, and the bottom layer with Pirate Kake to get a major Latakia blast at the bottom of the bowl.

I was going to ask if someone has tried this. Thanks for the info, now I have to try it

Javan
    Posted 2 years ago #
  21. curl

curl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Before I liked burley blends, I had the usual OTC blends which I didn't like all that much. When I smoked them, I only used them as the top layer of my pipe parfait...I liked a little bit of burley but not a whole pipeful.

My new pipe, a Missouri Meerschaum General, seems ideal for parfait smokes. I've done this a few times with good results.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jiminks, achtman, cornedbeef