PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
So I finally got my first online order after waiting anxiously 4 days while it sat at the post office. My first non capt. Black blend being dunhill early morning pipe. Whether this was a good choice for a first english blend I don't know. Either way, my question is, is the dominate "leathery" smell and taste latakia? Also I found while smoking it I got a strange spicy/peppery taste near the middlw to back of my tongue. Would this be from the latakia, or was I starting to gwt rongue bite? Was an enjoyable smoke sitting on my fire escape watching the light rain come down. Though, not quite as good as the bowl of nightcap being smoked at the moment (which doesn't give me the spicy/pepery taste).Of the 3 new blends I've tried today containing latakia, I'm definitly liking it.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
You obviously have a good palate..

Yes, the "leathery" smell and the smoky/spicy/peppery taste is the Latakia.

Dunhill EMP was my first foray into The Dark Side as well... It is one of my favorite notes.

I love that smell.
It's good stuff - that Latakia.

:puffy:

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
My experience has been that over time one tends to drift into heavier Latakia blends.I find Early Morning Pipe to be on the milder side of Latakia blends.Frog Morton On The Town is anther mild Latakia blend you might want to give a try

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Eww, it is that dominant anyway? Then I'm removing EMP from my to-try list. :lol:

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
Since it has already been said that you've got the latakia spot on I'll say that the spiced taste/note that you're finding in the Early Morning Pipe was probably from the oriental part of the blend. Because...well because that's the character of orientals.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to the good stuff,nbpiper. Lots of us start with drugstore blends; smoking stuff other than drugstore blends is one more step in your exploration of the wonderful world of pipes.

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
You just opened up a whole new world of tobacco and it sounds like you will love it! I really love PA for an all day smoke but when I want something complex and yummy I go for English blends with lots o' lat...If you havnt been already, I WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE!

loborx

Apr 20, 2011
Early Morning Pipe and Nightcap are some of the first steps many take down in the yawning pit known as The Dark Side. Shadowy corridors haunted by specters such as Pease, Ouellette, the ancient dead mummy Sobranie and the bearded madman himself, Alfred Dunhill with his grimoire of oriental mixtures. Pungent smoke makes you the bane of all around you as you sit in a contented haze of sweet nepenthe and you wonder, "what was I thinking when I bought that white pouch from the dreaded Captain Black?" :puffy:

nbpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
My second bowl of EMP was definitely better than the first. Making an order now and picking up some FMOTT and Blue Mountain. Thanks for the recommendations.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I got bored after my first bowl! haha... now perique.... omg

I have been meaning to give EMP a second try..... but everything else I have is so much more delicious and it was delicious on the first bowl.... /sigh Guess i'll give it another go tonight. I like the smooth spicy of a Va/Per much more than this leathery stuff. If my mind doesn't change on the second or third bowl then i'm duct taping the tin and not opening it for another couple of years lol.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Never smoked EMP. Gave up on Dunhill English blends a long time ago. As I smoked other English blends, I found them better - and didn't see any reason to smoke stuff I didn't like as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.