PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
For the first nine years of my adventures in pipe smoking I have primarily smoked Lane bulk tobacco. I really like RLP-6; however, in the last couple of months I have decided to branch out and try some different tobaccos. It all started when I purchased a tin of Erinmore flake and realized that I should give flake tobaccos an honest try.
My main reluctance of trying other styles of tobacco is the learning curve; however, it donned on me that I really could be missing out if I am not willing to go through the process of becoming acquainted with different tobaccos and what it takes to prepare them for smoking. For the love of pete (one of my favorite sayings) the worse case will be more relights than I have grown accustom to. Really I have realized is that so what if a bowl takes numerous relights because eventually I will one day become better at packing and smoking these tobaccos.
So, today I took advantage of pipesandcigars.com 20% off and ordered the following: 1 tin of Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky, 1 tin of Escudo Navy De Luxe and 2 ounces of PS 403 Bulls Eye Flake.
Wish me luck on my continued smoking journey.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
3 great choices, jndyer.
I buy bullseye flake in the 1.5 lb boxes, same goes for luxury navy flake. I'm sure after you try it, you'll want to do the same. Awesome smoke any time of day for an amazing price.
Dark Strong Kentucky ... Not as strong as I originally expected, and much sweeter than I thought it would be. Excellent smoke. Moisture from the tin is a bit much for my taste, so I recommend drying time on this blend. My only complaint about this blend is that the flakes are always stuck together in the tin, and when you try to remove one it always tears apart. This makes "fold and stuff" less of an option. No biggie, though. Rub it out and enjoy!
Escudo. Great straight out of the tin. Great with drying time. Great with age on it. Great when folded and stuffed. Great when rubbed out. Great tobacco.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
The only thing about flakes I found when trying them was getting the right moisture level. Erinmore comes on the wet side I find. There's nothing to be intimidated by, if in doubt, rub it out. Cube cutting is also pretty foolproof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpQ9EqPuB2Y

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I'm eager to hear your opinions of those blends. They seem like good choices. Has it mostly been Lane aromatics so far, or have you also partaken of their bulk offerings in other genres?

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
From Lane it has only been their aromatic line, well actually it is 95% RLP-6 as I really love that blend. I am looking forward to spreading my wings to non-aromatic blends. While I love my RLP-6 I think it will be good to allow my taste buds to taste a variety of natural tobacco flavors.
I have found that if I only smoke my go to tobacco it begins to taste a bit bland. To help combat this I will smoke a bowl or two of a good old burly blend. It is my experience that when I do this then my regular smoke taste much better.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Dark Strong Kentucky ... Not as strong as I originally expected, and much sweeter than I thought it would be.
Completely agree.
Also ... it requires a special opener: :)
15%2B-%2B1

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
While I love my RLP-6 I think it will be good to allow my taste buds to taste a variety of natural tobacco flavors.
Absolutely right. Just give yourself time to taste and contemplate... I find that is the fun part. Food will also taste slightly different as your taste capacity develops. Added bonus.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Easiest way to start with flake or coin is to just rub it out, in my opinion. It also helps to let it dry out overnight or for a few hours, depending on how moist it is. After that, it is much like loose tobacco, and you can perfect other techniques if you want. With plug or rope, you have to slice it fairly thin and then proceed as with flake or coin. Just take your time, and if it doesn't work, smoke some loose tobacco you like, let the flake dry out, and try it later. Keep it all low key, no pressure. The goals are good taste and a relaxing smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.