PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
Picked up this pipe last week. I'm really impressed with the stem work. Super comfortable. The pipe weighs in at 1.4 oz, so it is nice and light to. :D

ab64ca1be47a3697f26c79545d2a9a0d.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
That pipe is screaming for flakes. Love the contrast stain which really sets off that wonderful blast. Congrats.

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
It's all flakes all the time up in my house. Except I typically rub them out to a broken flake consistency.... :oops: Not sure if that is typical, but I get perfect smokes that way.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
That is an awesome looking Weaver. Great color and great blast. I agree about his stem work, the 2 I have are both very comfortable. Congrats on your new addition.
I also smoke flakes exclusively and find the cube cut method works best for me. I get a nice consistent burn along with a cool smoke and great flavors. Give it a try sometime.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Dude! That's killer! What's the length on that bad boy!
@peck? Why do we say that is screaming for flake? What makes a pipe more or less desirable for flake tobaccos...?

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
The stain and grain are fabulous. Workmanship is stunning. Congrats!
How's she smoke mountainman?
@peck? Why do we say that is screaming for flake? What makes a pipe more or less desirable for flake tobaccos...?
Same question!

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
How's she smoke mountainman?
I loaded her up with Solani Silver Flake for her maiden voyage last night. Bruce Weaver is known for great engineering, and this pipe fully lived up to that reputation. Even on the first smoke I never had any moisture buildup, and I smoked a fully loaded bowl to the bottom. Ran a pipe cleaner through and it didn't even come out that dirty. I won't hesitate to add more of his pipes to my collection. I'm very impressed.
Dude! That's killer! What's the length on that bad boy!

Length: 5.77 in./146.56 mm.
It is still a somewhat smaller pipe, even though it looks much bigger in the stock photo I posted from SP.com. Thanks for the great comments guys.

Dec 24, 2012
I find larger pipes - group 5 or 6 or larger - are best for English or Balkan blends. I think you need the larger size to allow the orientals to open up, at least in my experience.
With a flake pipe (and, in particular, if you use the fold and stuff or cube cut method), I look for a smaller size bowl to allow for a concentration of the VA flavours - ideally, a group 3 to a smaller group 5, with a group 4 being the sweet spot for me. Some also say that a conical bowl is best for smoking flakes because it also operates to accentuate the concentration aspect - I get this in theory but to me the size of the bowl is more important than the shape of the bowl itself. What is key to me is that the bowl diameter should be no more than 3/4 of an inch (.75) and not too deep (1" to 1.5") to allow the flavours to concentrate and to minimize moisture build-up at the bottom of the bowl (which I find flake tobacco is particularly prone to).

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
With a flake pipe (and, in particular, if you use the fold and stuff or cube cut method), I look for a smaller size bowl to allow for a concentration of the VA flavours - ideally, a group 3 to a smaller group 5, with a group 4 being the sweet spot for me.
Got it Peck, just the info I was looking for. I've also Heard that flakes can get bitey, but it only stands to reason if they are prone to moisture buildup at the bottom of the bowl.
I managed to get a tin of Irish Flake and I'm thinking of picking myself up a small Peterson Bent Bulldog with a P-Lip as a Father's Day present to myself, and the whole flake pipe justification just may be the push I need! The P-lip is a bit of a turn-off for me, but I have so few choices at my local so-called B&M.
Thanks again.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
dottie, I would not go for a p-lip. I had one and in my opinion you lose flavor because the smoke is directed to the roof of your mouth where you have no taste buds. There are tons of places online to buy pipes, you are not limited to a b/m. Most have free shipping or orders of 95 plus. Check out our sponsors.
I have flake pipes that have a bowl width of 13/16 and find those to smoke flakes very well. Many of mine are also .75 and the jump to .82(13/16) really doesn't do anything to the smoking properties that I have seen. I do not own any pipes that are 7/8 or 1 inch as that is too big for my tastes. If you are going to delve into flakes, I would suggest a Dublin or Apple as your first pipe. I have a good number of both of those shapes and love the way they smoke. The other shapes I own are Rhodesians, Brandy's, Billiards, Cherrywood, Poker and Lovat and all of them smoke my flakes extremely well.

Status
Not open for further replies.