PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My latest Rad is this Calabash I asked Rad to make for me. I have been thinking of another shape other than my usual classics to add to the collection and felt that a Calabash would look good and would also smoke my flakes very nicely. The dimensions are:
Length: 6 1/8

Bowl height: 1 7/8

Bowl depth: 1 5/8

Bowl width: 13/16

Weight: 50 grams
This is a nice sized group 5 pipe that should be good for a couple of hours or smoking bliss. I am totally psyched at how the pipe came out.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That is nice, Harris. Very elegant -- like the pink champagne you like to drink. :laughat:
Seriously, I really like that -- one of the nicest Rad shapes I've seen in a while. Congrats.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Harris - Congrats, that's a lovely pipe. Especially like the ring grain blast, matched with the smooth bird's eye rim. The Cumberland stem tops it off. Very well done.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
VERY nice, Harris ... as a rule, I'm not attracted to Calabash pipes, but that, sir is an absolute exception. I'd love to have a pipe such as that one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Fabulous grain on a blast pipe, and a fine trim sinuous shape. I dote on that blast smooth

combination and the wooden band. Not every carver can put those elements together as if

they grew that way, but this is right on the crosshairs. Mighty fine.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Nice, now I have to get a Rad Calabash too....my PAD list keeps getting longer.....

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I am also not a fan of they typical calabash style but that is very elegant. I hope you enjoy it

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations Harris on your new pipe. I like the grain pattern on the smooth top. It goes along well with the rest of the pipe being blasted. I hope you enjoy it for many years.

Dec 24, 2012
Wow Harris, that is gorgeous. The cumberland stem coupled with the red stain on the top of the bowl is really extraordinarily elegant. You really don't deserve such a stunning pipe. I think you need Rad to carve a matching Champagne flute to go along with it.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
The classic Cumberland stem you love so much, and his awesome blasts. The man does that in 20 minutes, incredible. I've looked at so many of the "new" designs, he puts out fantastic pipes without getting into crazy shapes. No doubt these will be coveted collector pieces in the future from a great artisan. Cheers on yet another great pipe!
Craig

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Gorgeous. Rad sure has a way of taking a shape I'm not usually a fan of and making it attractive. She's a beauty!

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
Nice! I really like that shape and how it all flows as well as the color combinations.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks for all the nice comments, it is appreciated.
As many of you know, the shapes I go for are pretty much the classics and I do not vary from them. After getting my last commission from Rad( Dublin) I decided to break form and go for something a little different. I went searching through his gallery and saw this pipe and fell in love instantly. My gut tells me that this should be an all world flake smoking machine. The thickness of the walls, the way the top is a bit closed like a Rhodesian, just called me. I love my Rad Rhodesians and Dublins and to my eye this pipe is like a combo of the two. I am really excited to see if my gut is right and it does smoke flakes as well as I think.
peck, that pipe will look perfect as I drink my Veuve Clicquot, Rose. The pink hues of the Champagne will look quite stunning with the stain on the pipe. I am now at 18 Rad Davis pipes in the collection with no end in site.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Another beauty. He really brought out the ring grain from the original flame grain on the pipe, with the corresponding birdseye on the smooth rim. Very elegant. You can even see the birdseye through the stain at the end of the shank even though it is not polished.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Gracious, Harris, what a beautiful pipe! That's as fine a calabash as I have ever seen. I even own a couple (no Rads, though) but nothing on the order of your pipe.
Congrats. I really want to know how the flakes go in that pipe. I'm with you. I think it is going to be one awesome flake smoking pipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.