PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

politicalmonster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
Still working on that big 'ol hunk of oak stump that I made the pipe rack and tamper from in my earlier posts. This time I decided to do an ashtray. (Started out as an ashtray holder for the 1950 polished aluminum ashtray in the first pic that I got from ebay, but once I got it stained, I thought it was too nice looking to cover up)

Anyway, here it is.

(The two things that look like eyes are bowl rests for a two-pipe stand I am carving for the "handle" looking area)

ashtraysmall1.jpg

ashtraysmall2.jpg

ashtraysmall3.jpg

I really want to get a mini lathe so I can start making some more "polished" looking pieces. I don't have the patience to get it that smooth freehand, so I tend to make thing with the more "natural" edges, etc...

But I'm still pretty proud of it. Now just waiting on my cork knocker to get here, and take it for a test run.

-PM

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
That is one meaty ashtray. Carve a ridge in the handle for a drink and put 3 legs on it and it would be a great companion for a chair! Well done. :puffy:

politicalmonster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
Yeah, it's a beast, but I adhere to the "go big or go home" motto, so it works. Never thought of making the handle area a drink holder, but it would be the perfect size for a scotch glass.

-PM

politicalmonster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
Got the pipe rest done. Decided to make it removable in case I needed it without the ashtray. Cork knocker arrives today, and I am ready to break it in!

piperest1.jpg

piperest2.jpg

hurkman

Lurker
Nov 25, 2012
this is great! there is nothing better than making things yourself. you get to have a sort of relationship with the piece. good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.