Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Made a 4-day trip to visit my sisters in SE Texas and of course that included walking around flea markets, antique shops and malls and junktique shops. Here's my finds:

1. Made a pit stop in Baton Rouge at The Pink Elephant and stumbled onto a pipe stamped "Savinelli Product" under "Bayou Tobacco." This is obviously a full bent pipe produced for the Bayou Tobacco pipe and cigar shop which was open until last year.

2. I found a small Scottie Dog pipe single pipe holder that only set me back $6 in Lumberton, Texas

3. A beautiful (in my eyes) ceramic tobacco jar. Found is an antique shop in Vidor, Texas, and, in the same store...

4. A small, cast iron Brighton 3 tobacco plug cutter with a Jester on top.
The entire haul only set me back $130.
OJHyDJF.jpg

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Wow! Congratulations pap! That is a truly traditional pipe smokers collection you found. The craggy blast on your pipe is great! The jester / elf plug cutter looks like he's thumbing his nose at the FDA and ready to give 100+ more years of service. I love it! The little tobacco jar is exceptionally nice. Looks like it's hand painted too. Great scores! Good on you, sir!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The elfin figure on top made me think of Puck from Midsommer's Night Dream, or Peter Pan. The pose is what did it, but that could have been a one time interpretation of a stage presentation of Midsommer's Night Dream or a scene in Pan I couldn't find.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Yeah, I also found a Brighton company that sells jewelry and women's accessories. Couldn't find a Brighton that deals in cast iron.

In searching antique forums I found a reference to a company the James Wright Co. which made a reproduction of this cutter back in the 1970s. The original design dated back to the mid-1800s.

Status
Not open for further replies.