Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have been watching this pipe for over 3 weeks now, and I finally pulled the trigger. It is an Astley's Dublin and this is the story behind the pipe.
" Astley’s of Jermyn Street opened their prestigious shop way back in 1860 as an outlet for their superb manufacturing of smoking pipes for the British royalty and London gentry alike. At that time they were literally just down the road from the Charatan’s shop, and for years they competed to produce a better standard of pipe. Whilst Charatan changed hands and was sold to Lane in the U.S., Astley’s continued with his High Grade pipe sales by supplying some of the best examples of British manufacturing to pipe connoisseurs around the world! Astley of Jermyn Street was an extremely exclusive and renowned shop and many pipe smokers made visiting the shop a must when arriving in London, myself included I must say! The shop always commanded extremely high prices for his much sought after specimens! This beautiful large Dublin briar pipe was made by Dunhill U.K. Ltd. Dunhill has made pipes for Astley of Jermyn Street for many years and when I purchased the Astley Pipe Company some years ago I received this mint condition pipe. It has been finished in a transparent two tone dark tan staining over 360 degrees of shallow hand rustication to the bowl and shank with a smooth name plate. This pipe has been lightly smoked, however, the tobacco chamber is in mint condition. The tapered mouthpiece is in as good condition as the day it was fitted bearing the vibrant A logo. The crisp and well defined nomenclature on the left of the shank reads ASTLEYS and underneath 109, JERMYN ST. LONDON. The pipe comes with a lifetime guarantee.

LENGTH: 6” HEIGHT: 2” OUTER TOBACCO CHAMBER: 1 ½” INNER TOBACCO CHAMBER: 8/10th”"
This thing looks very much like the Dunhill I bought from this seller last week. That pipe should be here any day and I can't wait to smoke them together to see if they are the same. For 107.00 shipped to my door, I figured this is definitely worth a shot. If it smokes as good as I hope it does, I will buy more Astley's from this seller. He also has ones made by Upshall.
Astleys1.jpg

Astleys2JPG.jpg

Astleys3.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks guys, I recently read something that there is a myth about British pipes bringing out the best in flake blends. Have you guys heard that one and do you subscribe to it? I smoke 95 percent flakes and I have noticed that my British pipes to a one smoke them beautifully.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Harris I"m smokeing my estate unsmoked Ferndown Reo#3 Poker, had to q tip the shank and bowl to get rid of the stain, first load Dunhill Nite cap, smokeing hard trying to get it hot, can"t, next load back to back Sq Leader, trying to get it hot can"t looks like a keeper the old cajun

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
old cajun, I just got my Ferndown in today and I am going to be lighting it up later tonight. Glad yours is smoking so well, can't wait to see how mine does.
Just got these three pipes in today also. I got them from a member of this site and he cut me an unbelievable deal on them.
Charatan Lane Era Special 4148DC Pot
DSC01491.jpg

Charatan Lane Era Special 4402DC Lumberman
charatanspecial2.jpg

GBD Virgin Conquest
gbd1.jpg

gbd2.jpg

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Harris I have 2 lane era Charatans pots just like yours one is a special the other is a belverder, the special is a sHow piece, the belveder is a good every day smoker, likes Nitecap HaHa the old cajun

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Great choices! You'll have to tell me how you like the Perspex stem, not everyones cup of tea but I find them to feel like any acrylic stem.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
dave, I am doing my share by pumping money into the economy.
old cajun, I am smoking the pot right now with some SG Best Brown flake and it is really smoking nice and cool. While not a show piece by any means it should be a nice smoker.
Al, I am going to smoke the GBD tomorrow, I'll let you know what I think of the stem.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Some nice looking grain in that Charatan set. And that Astley's dublin just looks perfect for flakes. Nice finds!

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Nice pipe!

Might be looking into that brand also :) A pipe that is affordable and just as good a Dunhill! Can it get better?!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I got them from a member of this site and he cut me an unbelievable deal on them.
Thats what I'm known for :mrgreen: Glad you like them Harris !

It just dawned on me what happened to the other Charatans I was looking for... OldCajun bought them !

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
If theres any of them you dont like you can send them to me and i will give you my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.