Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Late Starters

(22 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

chs110

Login to Send PM

I started regularly smoking a pipe in my late 50s after smoking cigars for years and was curious if there are other later starters out there? If so, what age did you start? What compelled you to start? What did your friends and family have to say about it?

Posted 6 months ago #
  2. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I started about 9 months ago at age 59. I had a pipe about 30 years ago and very seldom smoked it. As for my family...wife doesn't mind as long as I smoke on the enclosed back porch which I converted into my own smoking space. My son and son-in-law smoke pipes also.

Posted 6 months ago #
  3. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm 55 and I started on September 13, 2011. My grandfather smoked a pipe and my father smoked cigars. People often ask if I smoke a pipe to be like Sherlock Holmes.....

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 6 months ago #
  4. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was 37. I have smoked cigarettes since I was 13. Society seems geared for cigarette smoking, or at least it did back then. Rat race, short smoke, rat race, short smoke, race, smoke, race, smoke and so on.
    Pipe smoking is something else, and I would like to have fallen for it earlier, but at least I did eventually.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm 59 and started about a year and a half ago. I smoked cigars occasionally prior to that. A buddy brought a pipe to a fishing trip and I was hooked. The pipe just fits my style. My vegan partner gives me the hairy eyeball when I pull out the pipe. Being a nurse, she gives me grief about health issues so we have interesting discussions. I don't tell her how many pipes I have acquired...

“I've been treating you with courtesy and respect because that's the way I choose to treat everyone. But never, ever mistake kindness with weakness.”
    ― Louise Penny, Still Life
    Posted 6 months ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

thedbs999

Login to Send PM

Started at 66. A bowl or 2 a week. Still trying to get the hang of it. So far Iam liking Prince Albert, Carter Hall, and Lanes 1Q.

Posted 6 months ago #
  7. peanubutter

peanubutter

Login to Send PM

Back in 2010 the city implemented a no-smoking ban. I didn't smoke then but the thought that no one could smoke was too much. So I started out with cigars and in 2012 started the slippery slope of pipes, tobacco and all else that entails. The pipe never caught on for me. Now at the end of 2018/2019 I'm trying to make a serious go of it with the pipes at the age of 59.

Posted 6 months ago #
  8. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

Smoked a pipe off and on since I was in my 20's. I'm now 63 and I smoke about 4 bowls a day.

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 6 months ago #
  9. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Long timer here. Forty-four here and have been smoking a pipe since seventeen.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 6 months ago #
  10. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

I'm a late bloomer as well. I average 3 to 4 bowls a day. The wife likes the aromatics and indulges my TAD. My closet has racks on the wall holding my jars and my armoire stores about 30 lbs of tobacco that I have decided I like. I started smoking a pipe about 3 months ago.

Posted 6 months ago #
  11. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I started late in life. I waited until I was 15 to start smoking pipes

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 6 months ago #
  12. snoopy311

snoopy311

Login to Send PM

I started when I was 46 now 56. I got into pipes as a less expensive hobby to cigars. I have way too expensive tastes in cigars.

Posted 6 months ago #
  13. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I started at 43, I'm 46 now.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  14. onestrangeone

onestrangeone

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Started at 49, five years ago.
    Smoked cigarettes most of my life but finally gave en up about 8 years ago.

Posted 6 months ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

puffthemagicpiper

Login to Send PM

Started @ 37, am 49.

Posted 6 months ago #
  16. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoked cigs from 13 to 46. Health issues led me to switch to vape for 2 1/2 years and I switched to the pipe a year and a half ago. I'll be 50 in a few weeks.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 6 months ago #
  17. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have been smoking thorough all my years and been on and off with pipes but switched fully into the pipes some 3 years ago, should have done this way earlier though.As a former Cigarette-Ryo smoker must say the switching progress itself wasn't that easy to me.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 6 months ago #
  18. rogerrodger

rogerrodger

Login to Send PM

I started around 15, too, Hap, for about a year, on the sly, of course--Half and Half in a Dr. Grabow. Then, in my 30s, for two or three years I smoked a green Medico and a Dr. Grabow with Borkum Riff blends. Finally, I took up smoking a pipe a few months ago at age 66 with an MM cob, then a Savinelli basket, then a Rossi estate, a Peterson, a Cayuga, and a couple Falcons, smoking with C & D and GLP English blends, with a couple of aromatics for variety. I don't see myself giving pipes up again, unless health issues or the unavailability of tobacco make it necessary.

Posted 6 months ago #
  19. cranseiron

Cranse Iron

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Started at age 50 not long after my father passed. He was a pipe smoker and I have such good memories of his pipes and the smell of Borkum Riff (way back when it was good tobacco). I picked up the pipe in memory of him and came to enjoy it. I never smoked any form of commercial tobacco before that, don't value nicotine and only smoke for it's slow relaxing nature and the beauty of good pipes. I always smoke when I'm by myself so receive very little feedback.

Posted 6 months ago #
  20. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Started in my 30s, then found that my wife's grandfather was a long time pipesmoker. He mostly just does bulk vanilla tobacco. Trying to get him into some of the better blends out there.

Posted 6 months ago #
  21. lawdawg

lawdawg

Login to Send PM

I'm 34 and started smoking a pipe when I was 26 or 27. I was a cigarette smoker through high school and college, and wanted to quit, but I enjoyed smoking way too much to give it up entirely

Posted 6 months ago #
  22. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I started in my early thirties but then quit in my forties in solidarity with my late wife quitting cigarettes. For some years, I just smoked the occasional cigar on business travel. I kept my pipes, far fewer than I own today. In my sixties, remarried, I took up my pipes again to center after caring for my wife with a health problem (hip replacement revisions, etc. etc.). A drink at the end of the day disrupted sleep. A pipe, moderately smoked, was just right, is just right.

Posted 6 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   disinformatique, 3rdguy, fernafast, tobefrank