PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I wouldn't say I hate perique, but I think I can detect it what i'm smoking and if I had the choice to remove it I think I would. Its got that peppery flavour i'm not real into. I haven't tried Nightcap though I have several on hand/on their way. If the perique is very noticeable in it its not a very big deal, like I said its not like I hate it, but I was wondering if anyone has some blends of the top of their head that are in the latakia/english genre without or with little perique in it for me to try. I have a can of FM original and Bayou on hand I haven't tried, I don't think original has it. I also have London Mixture, and McClelland Old Dog which I don't think has it, but it has xanthia.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
There are lots of latakia blends without perique. I am not a big perique fan myself, so it's not hard to name some.
Sam Gawith Squadron Leader and Balkan Flake

Peterson Old Dublin

Dunhill EMP, London, Standard Medium, 965

Hearth and Home Ten to Midnight, Larry's Blend

Hermit Tobacco Captain Earle's Ten Russians

C&D Star of the East

Altadis Byzantium, Balkan I, Balkan II
Really, I would say there are many more latakia blends that don't have perique than do. Read reviews and tin descriptions before you buy, instead of buying because some guy mentions it in a thread. You can also call in your order instead of doing it on the web, and ask for guidance.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
loseth:
I'm particularly sensitive to perique, so I hear ya. But, thankfully, Jud is right: Far more English blends don't contain perique than do. (But you will definitely notice it in Nightcap and in FM on the Bayou.)
London Mixture is a great blend. (Or it was; I haven't tried the Orlik version, but I'll assume it's close to the Murray's version.) You might also really enjoy GL Pease's Westminster and Caravan. Depending on where your tastes fall with regard to English blends -- lighter or heavier -- you might also enjoy Dan Tobacco's Gordon Pym, a heavier, full-bodied English that I also like a lot. I'm currently really enjoying a McClelland blend called Wilderness, which features a light Syrian latakia; it's a fairly mild English that you might really take to.
If you'd like to get a sense of how much perique is too much perique for you, I'd put Nightcap and Pease's Haddo's Delight at the "heavy" end of the scale. On the lighter end, I'd suggest Rattray's Marlin Flake, which has a barely perceptible amount of perique in it. (I'm also trying Rattray's Dark Fragrant, where the perique is noticeable but not too bad for me. . . but the blend needs more evaluation before I can say any more than that about it.) Escudo is kind of a hallmark blend for Virginia/periques; it's been so long since I've tried it, though, I couldn't say where it might fall in the spectrum.
Bob

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm not a huge fan of a lot of perique myself. +1 on MM965 and Early Morning Pipe. You might also want to try some GL Pease Chelsea Morning, it has just a hint of perique. Let us know what worked for you, and welcome!

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Non Perique Lat blends are aplenty. My favorites are Star of the East, Westminster, Pirate Kake, Odyssey, Abingdon, Charting Cross, Odessa, Red Odessa, Campfire, PW400, Engine 99.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
For a very pleasurable latakia based smoke try McClelland's Blue Mountain which was the winner of the 2011 Chicago Pipe Show. It's similar to the infamous 759.

graywizard

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2013
thanks Salewis. have it on order and should have been here today - now looks like next week.
smoked kilos of 759 in the early 70's and 80's! KILOS!!!! that was my main smoke. BH doesn't quite hit the spot to me all due respects to the master Russ. short on the latakia for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.