PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Looks like Tewksbury stopped offering their Nosferatu blend: "English-style tobacco blend teases with a slight hint of anise", as it is not listed on the website any longer. Man I loved Nosferatu! It got me wondering if there are similar blends that I am overlooking. It's not so much that I love the taste of licorice (definitely not looking for something cased in licorice) but the particular Virginia/Latakia/Anise mixture gets me salivating. Read somewhere that Pembroke contains anise but not sure? Not really interested in aromatics with anise. Ultimately would like to find a good virginia that is heavy on the latakia and light on the anise to replace Nosferatu. Any suggestions much appreciated.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Pembroke isn't what you're looking for. . . at least not the blend by that name made by Esoterica. It's essentially Margate with the addition of Cognac. Esoterica's Blackpool and Ramsgate both include anise flavoring, but as far as I can tell neither one includes latakia.
Bob

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Thanks. Narrows it down (and save me $$$) a bit. :) Nosferatu was a rare bird but shouldn't be too hard to find a duplicate. Not much demand I suppose.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
It doesn't have latakia in it -- and technically it's an aromatic -- but I enjoy an occasional bowl of Sutliff's Great Outdoors, which has anise flavoring. Just be warned that it will take about a half-dozen bowls of something else to get rid of the ghost on this one. (Which, as ghosts go, isn't bad at all.)
I also searched SmokingPipes.com for "anise" and "licorice" and found that Hearth & Home's Burley Kake has it as well.
Bob

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Burley Kake. Ah yes. Sounds like my next victim. I guess it is the anise but Nosferatu was the most ghostingest blend I have ever came across. Have a meer dedicated to, well I guess now, any anise blend. Thanks again, will look into Burley Kake.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
C&D #509 Blenheim is supposed to be something along these lines. My tin is still sealed so I can't yet comment on the flavors but it's on my "to open" list for the near future.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
#509 the reviews sound right up my ally. Still an aro, but very light according to the reviews.

Thanks for the suggestion.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Decided to call Tewksbury and inquire about the demise of the Nosferatu. Turns out that it has been removed from the website only because they are SOLD OUT! He did say that Nosferatu is their biggest selling non-aromatic. Glad to see others enjoy it but I guess they are famous for Hobbit's Weed, which is what led me to Nosferatu in the first place. Anyone in the Denver area that wants to pick me up a pound to help save on shipping is welcomed to an ounce or two for the trouble. Thanks for the suggestions thus far and keep them coming. There is always room on my wish list. :)

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Can't recall ever trying a Uhle's tobacco but Crushed White Burley is highly rated and the reviews sound nice.
"Crushed White Burley has been my favorite Uhle's blend. This is a lighter version of their #255 blend, which is there oldest blend. Like other reviews have stated about #255, it is flavor with licorice, with hints of maple. And yes, it does kind of smell like Mixture 79, but that's where the simularity ends. This is what a good flavor burley should smoke like; cool, dry, no bite, just the smooth creamy taste of good burley."

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
You might want to try Russ's "My Own Blend". He has a sambuca flavoring which is anise in taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.