PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
In the last two months I have made major strides in being proficient in smoking my pipe with very minimal relights and actually smoking all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Awesome right? Wierd actually. If it is a Latakia blend then I have little to no issues while smoking my pipe. However when I smoke Virginian no matter the form of the tobacco, be it flake, coin, or ribbon I am having the same basic issues any new pipe smoker has. Why would I have these problems with Virginia leaf and not the Latakia. I try reproducing everything but it just does not work. Ideas?

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
So, you're having problems keeping VA's lit and smoking to ash?
I, too, have recently become "somewhat proficient" at the art of pipe smoking but haven't encountered any difference between the blends other than I find that I do not care of VaPers nearly as much as I did when I first took up the hobby. I'd be interested in hearing what others with more experience have to say about the problem you are encountering.

There are so many factors that could be at play here. I don't know of any burning factors that would make latakias burn differently from Virginias, since most latakia blends are mostly Virginia based.

My guess is that straight Virginias frustrate you. Maybe stay with latakias, since you seem to have those down to where you can enjoy them. No sense getting frustrated with a tobacco, since this is all supposed to be about relaxation and enjoyment.

Virginias have always been discussed as a tobacco more for the experienced smoker anyways.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Flakes and coins can be a challenge even for more experienced smokers. I rub a flake out thoroughly and then let it air out a bit before packing. I've never done real well with the fold and stuff method but that's not gonna stop me from trying until I do conquer it. Lat blends can frustrate as much as any and IMO it has more to do with moisture than anything. Too wet and you got problems, plain and simple. I'm smoking some EMP from a fresh tin and I had to let a small amount sit on some paper for an hour before I felt it was ready. It's part of the deal.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Interesting. I have encountered the same thing! A few days ago I posted about rarely being able to smoke to the end of the bowl. Since then I have made a concerted effort to improve my packing technique with each bowl until I get it right. Yesterday and most of the day before every bowl I smoked of Latakia was perfect. Stayed lit and smoked to the bottom and tasted great the whole time. But I have problems with the va's. Then I noticed on here yesterday one of the members was asking about how to smoke a particular Va plug and an experienced smoker posted to be careful to pack the bowl looser than your used to with that particular brand and style. I kinda think it may have to do with a combination of moisture content and packing technique vs the two types of tobacco at least maybe the ones you and I have smoked so far. But heck I'm new so it's all a learning experience for me too. Let me know if you find anything that turns the worm for you.
Monty

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
A point that has been made and then something that may just be observation of my experience with LAT.
1.) maybe you don't really enjoy the VA as much as the LAT, in turn you smoke a little faster. Causing more condensation and a wet bottom of the bowl and wet tobacco is impossible to burn completely unless you let it sit.
2.) the LAT blends I have smoked seem to be slightly drier, at least the LAT part of the blend so possibly it burns to ash easier?

Jan 8, 2013
I'm gonna have to go with moisture content. Most VAs are more damp out of the tin than Latakia blends, in my experience. I suggest letting your VAs dry, completely, before smoking them. With Full Virginia Flake, I let the whole flake dry on the counter for a few hours, then rub it out. Then I leave it to dry completely overnight before smoking it. It needs to be crispy. It's a technique I learned from cosmic, when I first ventured in to VA blends. I do the same with Old Dark Fired, although it doesn't take nearly as long to dry.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The diameter of the chamber might play a factor here, also. Virginias burn a bit quicker than Latakia blends, so in a wide chamber, they'll burn a bit fast, and sometimes wet. In a narrower chamber, they'll burn slower, and may smoke a bit drier as well. Just a thought.
Russ

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
For the record, I would measure your proficiency as being dependent on your smoking a pipe with minimal relights or smoking to the bottom. I've been smoking for 20 years and still relight my average bowl a half dozen times. I actually think that's a GOOD thing -- it keeps my smoking slow and cool, which is good. Also, who cares if you can smoke all the way to the bottom? The only thing that matters is that you enjoy yourself.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I think there's a bit of science behind the "bowl to tobacco type" argument. It's a good guideline, but it's not gospel. I think its just an observation by many many smokers, and what works better, and what can potential yield a better taste when smoking a certain type of tobacco blend.
I think everyone can agree that, taste and experience only matters to the smoker and his own tobacco at the time.
For example, it has been said that a more complex blends might fare better for the smoker in a wider bowl, as to allow said smoker the ability to detect the subtleties of the blend, whereas smoking it in a narrower chambered pipe the the physics might play a role in hiding or not allowing ALL the flavors to come through.
Can you smoke a English/Balkan blends in a wider chambered pipe? Absolutely!! Should you only smoke English/Balkan blends in a wider chambered pipe? That's entirely up to you.
Your taste is unique to you, and what you like in a pipe smoking experience may not be someone elses time well spent.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I believe doctorthoss meant to say - For the record, I wouldn't measure your proficiency as being dependent on your smoking a pipe with minimal relights or smoking to the bottom.
And I take his corrected words as pipe smoking gospel.
Correct me if I'm wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.