Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hello tobacco experts, some months ago I realized that I wasn't a fan of Latakia tobacco, in fact I really dislike it, smells (and tastes) like body odour to me.
As I am going through a spell of trialling new blends I wondered if Oriental tobaccos are anything like Latakia. I could me missing out on loads of blends that I may well like but fear of having them taste of BO is putting me off from dipping my toe.
Any guidance most welcome.
Regards,
Jay.

Reactions: Dyer_Wolf03

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Latakia only becomes Latakia when it is cured by smoke. Even if Orientals are used to make Latakia, they won't be called "Orientals" after they are cured. They will be called "Latakia". So if you see a constituent tobacco listed as "Oriental", it should not taste like Latakia. Did that make any sense?

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Latakia is Oriental tobacco that had been cured over fires made of fragrant wood. If you've ever spent time at a campfire, you know how the odor transfers to your clothes. I wouldn't discount Orientals. Maybe try a couple of the Grand Oriental series. Small amounts of different leaf but mostly Virginia.
Mike S.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Latakia is Oriental tobacco that had been cured over fires made of fragrant wood. If you've ever spent time at a campfire, you know how the odor transfers to your clothes. I wouldn't discount Orientals. Maybe try a couple of the Grand Oriental series. Small amounts of different leaf but mostly Virginia.
Mike S.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Well, latakia is made from oriental leaf. But it's cured over soecific burning woods that give it its distinctive smokey/campfire taste and aroma. Non-latakia orientals don't have that same flavor profile. But there are lots of different orientals. They can be bitter, pungent, sweet, strong, and mild, simple, and complex.
McClellands makes a series of blends -- Grand Orientals -- that each feature specific leaf; trying those will help you understand each one's flavor and determine if you like it or not. Other blenders make oriental-forward blends that aren't based on single varietals. In that category, I really like Presbyterian Mixture and Dunhill's Durbar. Finally, traditional Balkan-style blends put the focus on balancing orientals with latakia and underpinning them with Virginias. . . but you might not be interested, given the presence of latakia.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm going to disagree slightly with aldecaker: Some blenders DO use the word "orientals" on their labels as a way to include latakia.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
That's the strangest description of latakia yet. What blend did you try it in? It may not be the latakia at all, or it may be the particular latakia. Not all latakia tobaccos are equal. You can definitely try Oriental blends without latakia, but I fear they may be the source of the BO smell and taste. Good luck on your adventures.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I would say give the following a try from Mcclelands. They all contain a very small amount of latakia but more as a condiment vs the main course.
Frog morton cellar

Yenidje Highlander

3 Oaks Syrian

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@rmbittner- I was not aware of that. I can tell you, if I bought a blend with Lat in it, and it was merely listed as "Oriental", I would not be pleased! Not that I don't like Lat, because I do, but I like to know when it is in a blend I'm buying. Fortunately, I have never run across that problem, at least not that I know of.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Some blenders DO use the word "orientals" on their labels as a way to include latakia."
Could be the case. I associate it more with "Turkish" being equated with "Oriental" as opposed to Latakia. All are "Orentials"

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi chaps, many thanks for your (sometimes confusing) input. Three blends that spring to mind that I disliked were Erinmore Balkan Blend and Early Morning Pipe & Nightcap, both by Dunghill.
The BO smell & taste were very apparent in all three.
Regards,
Jay.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Orientals taste different than latakia. Different oriental varietals taste different from one another. You would do yourself a disservice by writing off all oriental blends based on a distaste for latakia.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
@mawnansmiff it unfortunately sounds like it is definitely the Latakia that you don't like based on those blends. It does seem to be the tying factor. However, please do try some good oriental blends, that does not seem to be your problem. On a side note, I am sorry that you don't like Latakia, it is a whole world of amazing blends that you are missing out on. Maybe someday your palette will change and suddenly you'll enjoy them. Until then, there are plenty of other tobaccos out there.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And there's BO and there's BO; for instance the BO of a large wrestler who hasn't bathed in a few days, contrasted to that of Charlize Theron, bathed or not. Monstrous difference!
:)

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I would also recommend the McClelland Grand Orientals line, as most of them do not contain any latakia at all. Since it's a real turn-off for you, you'll want to check beforehand, as one or two do contain latakia. I have the Grand Orientals Drama Reserve, and it's quite pleasant, and contains not a hint of latakia. My only complaint would be that I might prefer a little more drama leaf and a little less VA, but otherwise it's a great blend.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I find an Oriental forward to be somewhat sweeter than the smokytaste of a strong Latakia. The Early Morning Pipe is the most inoffensive blend I've ever tried; the delicious Latakia aroma upon opening the tin doesn't seem to come out in the smoke. If you want to confirm your Lat curiosity try some Balkan Flake by Samuel Gawith.
My current favorite English with high Oriental flavor and just enough Lat to spice it up is Dunhill's London Mixture.
I highly recommend it

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I would not discount either, dont let a bad experience keep you away from a particular, get some samples and see if there are any you do like, just might be surprised

Jun 27, 2016
I would try some straight Latakia to make sure that's what you don't like. McClellands is probably better for a straight smoke, but the P&C stuff is okay too, and has an interesting initial fruity taste that is a little different. Neither reminds me of anything unpleasant like B.O., unless I over-heat it or have too much grey ash on top. Not having tried the blends you mentioned, some Turkish tobacco and Perique can taste and smell like B.O. too, so maybe that is where it is coming from. :puffpipe:

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I didn't so much like latakia when I first tried it. When I opened my first tin, I was horrified. It smelled terrible to me. I can completely understand the body odor reference, and it's not even the first time this has happened on these forums.
Now, I do support what others are saying to some extent: sure, sometimes you may come around to like some blends that you initially dislike. I now enjoy some latakia blends. But I think the idea that "maybe it isn't the latakia" is a bit far fetched, considering the blends he mentioned.
I think some of the English fans are having a hard time accepting that not everyone likes their beloved latakia. :) I think this would be a bit like someone posting, "I tried Gawith Grousemoor, Ennerdale, and Dark Flake Scented, and I just really don't like it... it reminds me of urinal cakes," and then the Lakeland fans responding, "No, maybe it's the Virginia! They are sweet. Lakeland essence doesn't taste anything like urinal cakes."
I'll try to find the other thread where this happened, but another guy posted saying that EMP, Nightcap, and some other English blends smelled like smoke and BO and everyone tried to convince him it wasn't the latakia.

Status
Not open for further replies.