Latakia lovers unite! Wait, what is latakia?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
So I think its the latakia forward blends that I'm into but, I'm not sure. What exactly is latakia's flavor? Perique? Virginias? The orientals?

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
Okay so, that thread was amazing! I don't know how much it helped but it was hilarious.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I found out what true Latakia was by buying some "Blending Latakia" and smoking that, the pure thing. I now keep a sack of the "Blending Latakia" when I want to tweek a blend a bit more to my liking. Ive been known to put it in anything from Carter Hall to Full Flake Virginas. (I did the same with "Blending Perique" and it was surely what I expected from its descriptions. It just adds a little "something" to a blend thats not that overpowering to me.)

At this point the latakia has to be over 50% in a blend to suit my liking. I noticed hot sauce is not as hot to me these days. Ive numbed my taste buds a bit. The old adage "If a little is good, more is better" is not always true. :roll:
From my Notes:

Latakia is a specially prepared tobacco originally produced in Syria and named after the port city of Latakia. Now the tobacco is mainly produced in Cyprus. It is initially sun-cured like other Turkish tobaccos and then further cured over a pine or oak wood fire, which gives it an intense smokey-peppery taste and smell. Too strong for most people's tastes to smoke straight, it is used as a "condiment" or "blender", especially in English, Balkan, and some American Classic blends.

Latakia is the result of a process whereby the leaves are cured over controlled fires of aromatic woods and fragrant herbs. After the leaves are harvested and dried, they are hung in tightly closed barns and smoke-cured. Small smoldering fires of oak and pine fill the barn with smoke, and covering the leaves with smoke particles.

Latakia was "discovered" when a bumper crop resulted in surplus, and the excess tobacco was stored in the rafters. The peasant farmers traditionally used wood for cooking and heating in the winter. The smoke-cured tobacco's unique flavoring and taste was discovered the following spring. Latakia produces a very rich, heavy taste, with an aroma that has a "smoky" characteristic. Latakia is an ingredient of traditional English mixtures. The content can vary from a few percent to about 40-50%, or even more. A few smokers like it at 100%.
A modern perfume called Fumerie Turque (Turkish Smoke) was created by French company Serge Lutens, reproducing a fragrance in emulation of Latakia tobacco.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
To confuse one even further, I think there are a whole range of Lat flavors. Buying a jar of blending Lat will just acquaint you to that one particular batch. As stated above, Lat can be smoked over pine or oak-- hhhhmmmmmm......

Anyone ever cooked food over pine?, compared to oak? Or while camping, sit around a pine fire, as compared to an Oak fire?

To me Latakia is more a process, you always know it when you smell it, but there are vast variations in the different blends. I agree--LATAKIA GOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Does anyone sell mesquite latakia? I would like the smell and taste of barbecue in my pipe.
Joking, but I'd be interested to know if there is mesquite smoked latakia.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
Black Irish X has no Latakia but tastes and smells like BBQ and can ghost your pipe pretty good with those flavors.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I beleive that Black Irish X uses Dark Fired.
Dark Fired is along the same lines as Latakia, but it is made with burley, and smoked over whatever wood is available. Russ O. says that true Kentucky Dark Fired is smoked with Hickory. There's a good video on Dark Fired in which the farmer talks about using whatever wood is available (see Part 3, 4:41, they talk about using wood from downed trees, slabs from saw logs and saw dust from a local mill). To further complicate, Dark Fired is also produced in Africa, using Lord-Knows-What to smoke it.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Dark Fired is also produced in Africa, using Lord-Knows-What to smoke it.
I know what they are using ... and it's delicious!! :puffy:
dogturd-337x600.jpg

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
LOL ... it's a hunk of smoldering Joshua Tree that looked like a huge nubbed stogie.
I posted that pic awhile back in a thread about the dung smoking guy.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
There isn't any mesquite-smoked Latakia, as far as I know, and I'm not sure that there's any mesquite on or around Cyprus where the tobacco is processed, but it would be interesting to try the results of such an experiment.
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.