PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Hi forum members,

I am thinking of trying out the Dunhill Prince shape for Latakia mixtures, but these pipes are pretty darn tiny, and I don't want to toy with something that is not practical as I have some other pipes to smoke my Latakia currently, and I never want to hurry when I smoke, and would like to enjoy 30+ minutes most of the time.
If you have some of those Dunhill Prince / Pot / Apple / Diplomat shape pipes? And in what size?

What tobacco do you usually use it to smoke?

And how long does it last?
My Latakia smoke in a group 4 Dunhill can usually last from 45 minutes to 90 minutes, but their chamber depth is 'normal', I.e. not as shallow as these prince shape pipes.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Just buy a group 5 in the shape number you like, or even a six if the shape number if offered in that size.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
But then would it be justifiable to say group 2 or even group 3 not practical?

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Only on a personal level; I love small bowled pipes. I often don't have a long period for a smoke or I am dealing with -40 temperatures like today. I can understand where you are coming from though.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
My favorite pipe is my 5128 Diplomat black briar w/silver band. I smoke Escudo from it. Packed full around 20-30min. While I've never tried, I'm certain I could smoke slower and get 45min.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Those shapes have fairly shallow, wide (0.80") chambers which are perfect for Lat mixtures. Should definitely last you 30 minutes unless you blaze it like Nate . Dude, 30 mins on a Group 5 with Escudo? 8O

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Apparently I'm a fast smoker. Sucks and I seriously need to chill a bit. I'm certain if I smoke while multi tasking I'll slow down, but if the focus is smoking... what can I say :oops:

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
It's all good. Due to a lot of excitement / stress in my personal life last year, I was consuming close to a pound ( 8-9 tins ) of high octane baccy per month, and almost burned out a pipe. Thank God that is over, and I am back to stretching a tin for a week, week-and-a-half.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Not to go off topic, but as threads mentioning the Diplomat are exceedingly rare, I'd like to take a moment to share another image of my favorite pipe in shape, finish, and size. The printing on the silver band is so slick. :D

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Packed full around 20-30min. While I've never tried, I'm certain I could smoke slower and get 45min.
8O
Has your bowl burst into flames, yet? What about your tongue? LOL

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I think it depends on how you smoke. I smoked by Group 2 pot with Full Virginia Flake for over an hour, today. I would think a Latakia mixture would last at least half an hour.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Inspired by this thread, today I timed myself. The time I listed above was a guess, as I've never actually watched a clock as I smoked. I packed my Diplomat tight with Escudo and smoked it for 57min 36.6sec. The next step is obvious. I shall continue to time myself for a period not to exceed three times daily over a period of 48 months. These are the sacrifices one must make in the name of science and statistics. Alright then, who shall be providing me with the escudo for my experiment? :D

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Thanks PF!! It means a great deal to me that you recognize that tis a sacrifice I am making. These tasks aren't easy and they take they're toll, but for science, to increase the pool of knowledge from whence we draw... A sacrifice is required and a sacrifice I must make. 8O

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
57+ minutes, it's half an hour more for the enjoyment instead! :puffy:
The fast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBJ6rmM2TMU
And

the slow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QAb1lEkmdk
I wonder if there will be any Pipe Magazine Pipe Smoking Championship in the yet unforeseeable future.
iamn8, you have potential to be the faster one above. :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.