PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
First I thought we could use this thread for any blend that has latakia up front.
I'm about done with my second bowl of HH Latakia Flake from a newly opened tin. I absolutely love this stuff. The tin note is very nice, better I think than ODF. The flake is a little more moist than ODF and it rubs out practically by itself, leaving a perfect texture for packing. It takes a couple of lights to char, and then it burns perfectly with a great room note and flavor. This one is a keeper for me. Might even be tied with my first favorite, Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend. I have an issue with my pipes getting hotter than I like, so I packed a second pipe with the Latakia Flake and I'm switching back and forth to keep the flavor going. Good times.
tinner :puffy:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I have to revisit HH LF ... my first experience was questionable.
HH ODF is always in my rotation, but there's no Latakia in that one.
My next Lat bomb order will be some 10 Russians I think ... hearing lots of good about that one!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was hot on the Latakia trail but have been waylaid by burley blends from Cornell & Diehl, though Billy Budd

has a nice little spike of Lat to set off the strong burley.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
The two most Latakia-forward blends I am aware of are Cornell and Diehl's Pirate Kake and DaVinci; they are each around 75% Latakia. Their Super Balkan and Star of the East I think are 50% Latakia, and I prefer those; two of my favorites. G. L. Pease's Odyssey is a very Latakia-forward blend that is especially fine. His Abingdon also has a generous portion of Latakia.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend is one I liked. A regular for me is pouches of John Bull. I often add a bit of blending latakia to it for a little more of the "horsebarn" aroma. LOL

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Today has been Plum Pudding in the morning twice, and Plum Pudding after lunch, and after a nap, and now before dinner, and later?
tinner :puffy:

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
mcit - I love all the ones mentioned. Many of the Hermit Captain Earle's, such as Ten Russians, are quite Lat-laden. And Pease's lineup has quite a few Lat powerhouses. McConnell's Latakia Flake is pretty potent too, especially in the nicotine department. Old Ironsides is another great one. Penzance and Smoker's Haven's Krumble Kake are yummy, though also hard to find at times. Park-Lane's Bengal tastes like a lighter cased version of the old Bengal Slices, A best buy in that realm is Fairmorn's Lancer Slices.
There are some other candidates, but I will await your preferences as you work your way through the dark leaf quagmire.
hp

les

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
On the way,

10 Russians

C&D Da Vinci

C&D Odessa 968

C&D Buffalo Soldier

F&K Sterling Balkan 759