PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
I'm very new to pipe smoking and I picked up some frog mortons original the other day. I had only been smoking Virginia and Va/Pers so I wanted to try an English blend. The first thing I noticed when I opened the can was a very strong and unfamiliar smell, I assume the Latakia. The first bowl that I smoked left me very confused by the new flavors of the Latakia, but now it is my go to blend for the end of the day. My main question was just how Latakia heavy is Frog Mortons original? Did I accidentally stumble on one of the heaviest Latakia blends as my first English or is this just a taste of the strength that latakia has to offer?

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Well, ya. Frog Morton is some thick brew for Latakia lovers. The campfire plus wine barrel aroma is the Latakia... and a chunk a wood that aged some port or sherry once upon a time.
Recently there was a discussion on Latakia blends where the member asked about small amounts of the smokey stuff:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/a-smidgen-of-latakia

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
I've read many times that FM blends are a great intro for new guys trying English blends so Im guessing the answer is FM's on the lower strength scale of English blends. I've only tried FMC and it's one of my favorites

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I find frog morton to be heavy in latakia but different from other english blends that are also heavy in lat. FM has more of a sweet and sour thing going on with the smokey flavour, like the latakia has had a cavendish process applied or something (I have no idea if that is the reason for the difference, or if it is even feasible as a process)

Jul 12, 2011
I also started with FM blends as well as Boswell Northwoods, really good but heavy LAT blends. It can overwhelm the taste buds if you are new to heavy LAT blends, also takes a few weeks for me to adjust back to tasting my Virginia blends , so I try to

stick with heavy LAT blends in winter months here in Northeast and then also some stronger VaPer and VaBur blends and then switch back to pure Vs in Spring and Summer months. I also tend to have English and heavy LAT blends to specific pipes as they will most likely ghost the pipe. So I have a few briars, Meers and cobs for LAT blends and others for my pure Virginia blends...oh course I tell myself all this to feed my PAD...need more pipes for specific blends ;-)

Jan 8, 2013
A blend to try that is light on latakia is Cornell & Diel's Black Frigate. Don't let the not upon opening the tin fool you. It does have a strong (but lovely, in my opinion) tin note. Much of the scent is due to the rum, I think, and being pressed into a cake I'm sure plays into that as well. It's a wonderful blend and some don't even notice the latakia. But I think as a lover of latakia, that for that blend, it's actually the perfect amount even though in other blends I prefer more.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For new pipe smokers who want to have a Latakia light experience, I'd suggest Nat Sherman 536 for a non-aromatic English and Iwan Ries Three Star Blue for an aromatic. They both have a gentle dose of Latakia that lends to the overall experience but doesn't overwhelm. Another pleasing non-aro is PC Midtown Chestnut.

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
Thank you for all the advice. I just got my MM smokeable seconds in so I might have to break them all in with some of these new suggested blends.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I used to be a big latakia fan, smoked only Nightcap because it's the mack daddy. Guess I ODed on it, haven't bought any lately. Switched to Aperitif, which is still noticeably a lat blend but stronger on other flavors.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
love latakia, there is something about the smell of it, it always reminds me of a campfire, love to smoke latakia blends as the sun sets down.

Status
Not open for further replies.