PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
This might seem an odd or even sappy topic for a post, but I was in a car wreck today and I'm wiped out on pain meds. So, here goes….

As a longtime smoker of latakia mixtures (20-plus years) I can safely say that I've tried literally hundreds of "English" or "Balkan" or "crossover" blends, including many of the now-unavailable classics. And do you know what? We absolutely are living in the "golden age" of such blends. I know, I know -- Syrian lat is pretty much extinct and some of the rarer oriental leaf is very hard to come by. Nonetheless, the efforts of today's master blenders have given us a slew of classics that equal or surpass the classics of past generations. Greg Pease, Russ Oulette and Fred Hanna are the three most obvious culprits here, especially as their efforts over the last two or three years have produced a continuing series of instant classics that can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the old Balkan Sobranie, Dunhills, or anything else. Gaslight, Sextant, Meridian, Fusilier's Ration, Magnum Opus, Black House, Wilderness, and Legends have caused me to completely scrap my traditional rotation and rebuild my cellar (only Odyssey and Maltese Falcon pre-date the above blends now).

We are truly lucky. No, scratch that -- we are blessed.

If you haven't tried all of the above blends, then make sure to fill your cart with them on your next order. You won't regret it. And the next time you're tempted to drop a few hundred bucks on a vintage tin, keep in mind that what you're looking at is no better than any of the above listed tobaccos.

This post, BTW, was inspired by the two blends I smoked upon returning home from the hospital: Gaslight and Fusilier's Ration.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Well said. I've only been smoking for a couple years, so I don't have your experience with the older blends (or quite a few of the new ones, for that matter), but from what I know I'd have to agree.

Oh, and this isn't helping at all in the TAD department...

Here's hoping you can relax with a pipe for a bit, sound like you could use it more than the rest of us!

May 31, 2012
I wish you a speedy recovery, car wrecks are scary stuff.
Godspeed on feeling better.
Thanks for taking the time to post this, I value your words highly because you've been there and have had actual experience with the "golden oldies", often I'm swept away with romanticism and long for a lost era, so I'm glad to hear you saying this about the new blends we're blessed with.
I've only recently come around to liking Latakia, but at this point I'm totally in love and going a bit bonkers about it, sampling my way through all the different blends available.
Like you, Odyssey and Maltese Falcon are 2 of my faves, and I'm yet still going through GLP's catalog of wonders, I have Sextant and Gaslight on standby in the cellar, as well as an 07 tin of Westminster.
Odyssey is perhaps the best-named blend out there, it truly is like taking a voyage of differing locales, changing profiles both subtle and intense, I feel like an Argonaut when I smoke it! LOL
There is such a variety too, I love SG Commonwealth for that Va sweetness and it fills a certain niche for me. Sillem's London Blend is a favorite as well, and Black House is superb - I recently got myself a couple of vintage 2011 tins and can't wait to see how it tastes as I've only smoked it fresh.
I've been meaning to try Fred Hanna's blends, so thanks for the reminder, he can do no wrong in my book.
So many worthy blends to try too, we are in a golden age!
Thank you for your thoughts and get well soon!

:puffy:

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Doc
Really sorry to hear about this accident. I hope it's not too serious and you get well soon
I have just received a tin each of black house, Abbington, meridian and gaslight. I've tried black house and meridian and IMHO, both are excellent
Having begun pipe smoking with aros and then moved to va's I now alternate days between vas and English blends
If there was one type left and I had to choose, it would be the 'English'. The flavors are just, well, amazing. (Not very good at describing palate, unfortunately)
Get well soon

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I agree! Although I'm a relative newcomer to Latakia, I find the blends of today to be absolutely outstanding! H&H Mazatec and Black House, along with McC's FM blends and Blue Mountain are gifts from the gods in my opinion! There are a multitude of high quality blends to chose from, enough that no one person could possibly try them all!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I'm finding myself trying some more latakia blends as the weather gets colder, I'm enjoying EMP and MacBaren's Plumcake right now. I think it may be time to move into some more latakia forward blends now and see where they take me.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I agree that there are tons of great latakia blends out right now. I'm really only familiar with the Pease tobaccos but the Old London series might be the best collection of latakia blends out there, to me.
But I think that there are some overlooked older blends. Blackpoint is one of them. My personal grail is probably Kensington, and no one talks about that. Greg's been a great blender for a long time, and while the new blends deserve all the praise they get, some of the old ones deserve more than they ever got. I suspect the rise of this forum has contributed to each new blend being the next big thing, while the older ones seem a little old hat here.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Doc - That's a fine list: Gaslight, Sextant, Meridian, Fusilier's Ration, Magnum Opus, Black House, Wilderness, and Legends. To these I would add: Star of the East, Pirate Kake, Penzance, Odyssey, Abingdon, Charing Cross, Nightcap and London Mixture. There you have it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This thread is highlighting strong Latakia blends, so I may stray off track somewhat, but I also like

Dunhill MM 965, Nat Sherman 536, and even milder Lat blends like Sutliff Westminster and Altadis

Fox and Hound. I'm aging G.L. Pease Westminister.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Kashmir -- those are all wonderful blends, as well! I didn't list them (although I DID mention Odyssey, my all-time favorite smoke) because I was focusing on blends that have come out in the last couple of years. I'm amazed at the number of new concoctions that have been released recently that are clearly (at least to me) instant classics that could hold their own against even the best of the celebrated blends of yesteryear. Penzance, SOTE, London Mixture, etc. have been around for quite awhile now and some, in fact, are the classics I was comparing the newer ones to. It's a GREAT list of latakia mixtures, though!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
A speedy recovery to you sir! I have an order of Magnum Opus and Beverwyck that should be here today.

I have written down the other blends that you and Kashmir listed as this is the "Year of Latakia" for me!

Thank you gentlemen and happy smoking! :puffy:

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Get well soon doc! Back in the 1990's I know I probably smoked some Syrian lat but it wasn't my thing then but that's ok. I have to agree with you there are some fantastic lat blends coming out now and I have finally developed a taste for it and I personally don't really care where the Latakia comes from. Sextant and Gaslight are a couple favorites of mine. Mac Baren Plumcake and Peterson's Old Dublin are great smokes I enjoy also.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I have woken up in a hospital bed before. Gratitude is the best road to recovery. I like your spirit.

I'll try one of the blends you suggested. Best wishes to you.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm really sorry to hear that you are laid up but you seem to have a list of great tobaccos to savor all the while. To me Gaslight is the best full latakia I've smoked, quite savory and complex. And from someone who is not an avid smoker of such blends, one of the very best blends I've smoked.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Yes, indeed, GLP's Gaslight sure is some good shuzzit, without doubt. Rapidly becoming one of my all time favorites. It is a little disconcerting how much empty volume is in the tin, but you get used to it. Goes by weight (density) I guess, not volume.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I got about 12 bowls from my first Gaslight brownie, which puts me on pace for about 24 pipes per tin, just about normal for me. My pipes tend to be group 3-4 size. And this stuff burns forever, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.