PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I've recently created a thread about the punch of latakia that dissatisfied me a lot.
Then my palate began to get kind of acquainted to it as I persisted on smoking it.
But I noticed something else: When I smoke a little bit of John Cotton's Number 1 for example, let it sit for a couple of hours and then come back to it, that characteristic latakia taste becomes much mellower and the blend becomes way smoother and more satisfying for me to smoke.
Does anyone else notice this with English or latakia-based blends?
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
English/Balkan blends don't "sit" as well as VA forward blends. I find they can get harsh and bitter after sitting for a few hours more than getting mellow. That's been my experience anyway. Can't say as I have a ton of experience letting Latakia blends sit for an extended time. Glad you found some decent tobacco though, John Cotton's 1 is a nice blend.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I never let anything sit for long. It’s kind of like relighting a cigar that’s gone out.
It gets pretty caustic.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I’ve had mixed results with mostly english blends. Sometimes I’ll come back to a bowl in a few hours or even the next day and it will be really bitter, sour and bites like heck, other times I’ve been really surprised at how much the flavors have mellowed and smokes really well. And yes, the latakia has definitely faded in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.