PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I'm looking to try a few flakes with a goodly amount of Latakia, do any of you guys have any suggestions? Now, I know some of you will probably say Penzance, and I would really like to try some, but I'm looking for blends that I don't have to meet someone in an abandoned warehouse at midnight on a full moon, only to be interrogated just to see if I'm worthy to own a tin! Any suggestions are much appreciated!

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Sampled Pease Gaslight at the B&M and thought it was very good. I also love Old Ironsides, but it's almost harder to get than Penzance. Brebbia has Latakia Flake No.9, but I haven't cracked my tin yet so can't give you any feedback.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
pete - OI and Bengal Slices are the standard for heavy Lat flakes. In addition to the items above, if you are looking for similar flake formats, the European blends like McConnell's and Germain's may suit you. SG's Navy and Balkan Flakes come in those nice stately flakes but have lesser amounts of the evil weed. Now, cakes give pretty similar slow smoking characteristics if you don't rub them out and there are a lot more choices: H&H Ten to Midnight, C&D Bow Legged Bear and Pirate Kake, Serad's Longevity II (original had the Syrian and is now gone), most of Hermit's Captain Earle's excellent lineup (Ten Russians being the most potent, but Stimulus Package and Mystic are favs), Smoker's Haven Krumble Kake, Seattle PC Mississippi River and Plum Pudding. With broken flakes there are even more: Low Country's Cooper, Blakeney's Best Latakia Flake, C&D Tuskegee Airmen and Star of the East and Sunset Harbor Flakes, Lancer's Slices (a Best Buy), GLP Sextant and Quiet Nights.
Going offshore and into maybe discontinued blends are Larsen's 222, Holly's Discovery and Bjarne's The Special One.
If you could narrow your preferences in terms of strength and presence of Orientals, I could be more specific.
hp

les

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
GL Pease has Quiet Nights and Key Largo, which are both very good. They are soft flakes though, and quickly become ready rubbed in the tin.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Good flakes that keep a flake format are SG Balkan Flake and Navy Flake. Most latakia flakes seem to be either crumble cakes, like Penzance, or broken flakes. :puffy:

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Thanks guys, some really good suggestions
@lestrout. I've actually had "10 To Midnight" and I love it! I think I've got a little more than 1/2lb in the cellar at the moment.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
pete - SOTE is a fine mixture, while SOTE Flake is a broken flake. They taste different enough to me that I asked C&D at the Richmond CORPS13 if the ingredients were the same. I would have bet that the Orientals were slightly different. But they surprised me and said they were the same components and recipe. Funny thing, I have multiple batches of both and I would have bet they were not the same.
hp

les

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I've had my eye recently on McConnell's Latakia Flake. I haven't tried this one before, but am dying to. I might add it on top of next month's cellar buildup.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
i am not a lover of strong latakia but i do like these 2 mild latakia recommended by members here -

gawith hoggarth " bobs chocolate flake " - most dont sense the chocolate but do like the mild nice flavour of the latakia -

also sutliff "blend #5"

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Stupid question, do the S. Gawith and GH Latakia flakes contain any of the Lakeland essence? The only Gawith blend I've had is Grousemoor, which I absolutely hated! No Lakelands for me!

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I like Sutliff #5 but I wouldn't call it a Latakia flake. It's a typical ribbon cut English. I've experimented by infusing it with single malt scotch and it is even better. I was trying to replicate The Malthouse, which seems to be in short supply these days.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
pete - re "Stupid question, do the S. Gawith and GH Latakia flakes contain any of the Lakeland essence? The only Gawith blend I've had is Grousemoor, which I absolutely hated! No Lakelands for me!" - not stupid at all. SG doesn't seem to have their non-Lakelands tainted the way GHs sometimes do.
hp

les

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Stupid question, do the S. Gawith and GH Latakia flakes contain any of the Lakeland essence?
Les beat me to it, but I will confirm that it is very easy to avoid Lakeland essence with SG. Best Brown Flake, Balkan Flake, Squadron Leader and Navy Flake are all free of it. (Probably others, too, but these are blends I have smoked recently and/or regularly.)

Status
Not open for further replies.