PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Not trying to go beyond the scope of the forum, but I just got an e-mail about a new Latakia cigar: Latakia cigars
I've seen a lot of cigars with traditional pipe tobaccos like dark fired Kentucky, etc. over the past year. Was not expecting to see a Latakia cigar, however...

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
Also, at $7.75 a stick, I don't think this will be supplanting my tins of lat blends any time soon.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
I'm basically a cigar smoker who also enjoys a frequent pipe ... or maybe I'm a pipe smoker who enjoys a frequent cigar ... some days, it's hard to tell which way is which ...
Either way, though, Latakia is not an attraction for me ... I learned 40 years ago that I simply didn't care for blends in which Lat was an ingredient ... there's no way rolling up in a cigar could possibly improve it any ...

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I know that they're a bit pricey, but I was bowled over by the cigar. The leaf that was selected to support the Latakia complements it beautifully. It has the rich earthiness that you would expect from a good Nicaraguan maduro, but the smokiness of the Latakia brings a whole new element into play. I tried it for the first time last week, and I bought a handful last night.
Russ

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
Thanks for the input, Russ! I'll probably include a single in my next purchase - they're certainly unique! I'm curious to see if other blenders follow suit with pipe / cigar tobacco crossovers in the future.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
I saw this cigar a while ago but did not realize it had a little latakia in it. Kinda neat! I've tried other "pipe tobacco" cigars (like the sam leccia black) and they are not mind blowing. Still good and a little different.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As much as I enjoy about half my pipe blends with latakia, it's not a flavor I think of in

a cigar. However, since we have Russ's recommendation that the blending is really

skillful in the stogy, I bet it's pretty good, at least as a sort of change-up. I think it might

really make me want a pipe bowl of Nat Sherman's 536 right away.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I'll probably try one out of curiosity. Not too badly priced for a cigar if it's decent quality.
It's likely that the latakia may taste and burn differently than in pipe blends considering the other leaf components in the blend in addition to the higher humidity that cigars are kept at.

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
The other day I came across a websight " Pipe tobacco Cigars " and just the thought seemed so nonsensical.....

So we have this confusion going both ways which further shows how modern persons have forgotten whats what, and have really gone very far off the rails.

If I want a cigar, I'd smoke a cigar. If I want a pipe, I'd smoke a pipe and bloody well not load it with cigar leaf or something thats designed to taste like a cigar.

All of this gyration is truly bonkers!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
All of this gyration is truly bonkers!
... that's what she said! :rofl:
I have one on the way right now along with a PAD/TAD from P&C.

It might be awful ... and that's OK. But AJ Fernandez makes some really good stogies.

Status
Not open for further replies.