PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plank46

Lurker
May 31, 2013
Hi all
I would like to know what size bowl you recommend for smoking Latakia.

I have only smoked them in medium sized bowls and I am beginning to wonder if a big bowl would not be better suited, especially something complex like hh vintage Syrian.

All so has any body smoked straight Latakia, and If so what are your thoughts on it.

lumberjakpipester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2012
I usually smoke latakia blends in bigger bowls as I keep my smaller pipes for my VA flakes, and I really can't stomach a huge bowl of any aromatic(the flavor gets to be too much towards the end). It really all depends on personal preference tho.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The conventional wisdom is that latakia blends do better in larger bowls, to let the flavors develop.
I did try smoking straight latakia when I was much younger. The thing I remember most is that it was really hard to keep lit.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I smoke a lot of Latakia blends and I generally try to smoke them in a wider & shorter pipe. I think .85 and bigger is best but that' just me. Narrow & taller pipes I usually smoke Virginia blends and flakes.
I've never smoked straight Lat.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
As big a bowl as possible :mrgreen:
photo2-600x448.jpg

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I agree with conventional wisdom and smoke my Latakia blends in a larger bowl pipe such as a group 5 or 6 size.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
More.
Bigger.
More.
Seriously, lat is for some an acquired taste. For me it is a the go-to end of the tobacco spectrum. And I like it best in my largest pipes, with the widest possible bowls, to get the most movement of air across the tobacco.
I think this also helps keep the lat blends -- which tend to be fairly moist -- burning better. Cannot say this is for sure; my subjective impression.
I have a large Pete that will start a full bowl of Penzance with a single match and keep it burning for close to 90 minutes. Now THAT is pipe smoking by me.
(Mouth actually watering as I type this.)

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
Short and wide are good for latakia in my experience.
Brandy- and pot-shapes are the best smokers I have for latakia. Dublins are, for me, the worst.

Jul 12, 2011
MMMmmm, Lat blends...a good 'ol "Pot" style bowl; 7/8" chamber with about 1-1.5" depth and you will be "cloud 9" before you know it :puffy:

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Come to think of it, 4 of my 8 latakia pipes are on the large side, 2 are average/medium and 2 are smaller. However, I will say one of those smallish bowls is my oldest and possibly best smoking English pipe, so if it's a rule there can certainly be exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.