PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjzupon

Lurker
Aug 18, 2014
Hello all.

I am new to the forums and the easiest way to start out posting seemed to be with some questions.

I have been smoking a pipe for a year now.

Mostly enjoying Va's, VaPer's, Burley blends, most things with Dark Fired Kentucky in them, and some more oriental forward english blends.
I am having some trouble with the Latakia blends.

I enjoy the flavor, however most blends with Latakia seem to have a very "light" mouthfeel.

The word that comes to mind is whispy.

Most seem low in nicotine also.

I am really looking for that heavier mouthfeel.

I feel maybe with lower latakia content, used sparingly as condimental leaf maybe.
The only 2 that have hit the spot for me so far with latakia in them are Dunhill Nightcap and GLP Gaslight.

Also love Dunhills Early Morning Pipe but this is more Va with oriental leaf I think (?)
Sorry for the rambling rant, just thought maybe some other pipers could recommend some blends.
Thanks,
Matt

mjzupon

Lurker
Aug 18, 2014
Thanks Sparks.

Those 2 seem well worth investigating.

I love what C&D does with the burleys so I will check these out when I get a chance.

I also have a tin of C&D's Easy Times which is Va with Latakia and DFK.

This one definitely has a bolder mouthfeel, I will revisit this one as well.
Matt

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
C&D's Mountain Camp works well for me, as well as Billy Budd. They have oomph I look for in blends.
You might want to look at Capt Earle's - Ten Russians too. Heavy lat blend with good nicotine and body.

Jan 8, 2013
Welcome to the forums :) I find this The Smoker Ltd's Wise Fox an enjoyable Burley based blend with latakia... http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/72445/the-smoker-wise-fox/#p-122619

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I prefer robust Virginias/Vapers, so I probably have a similar taste. I just tried the new MacBaren Latakia Flake and love it. Very robust and flavorful.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
May I suggest some of the English blends by Greg Pease? I assure you, you won't find them too light. The Latakia flavor comes through, but the general consensus is that Greg soaks his tobaccos in a bucket of liquid nicotine before packaging them. :roll: believe me, they have plenty of clout, yet they are subtly flavored tobaccos, truly the pinnacle of tobacco blending. Work your way through his English and Balkan blends – I'm sure you'll find something to satisfy you.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum. Great suggestions by the others. Speaking of C&D blends- Pirate Kake is a lat bomb. Montford Point Marine is great and I always smoke a "crossover" like USS Mason. Billy Budd is a blend with some cigar leaf that's an interesting change of pace. Other than those there are literally thousands of blends to explore, so get moving and have fun. It's all about having fun here.

mjzupon

Lurker
Aug 18, 2014
Ten Russians and HH Latakia Flake have been on the list. Also love GL Pease other blends so will have to try some of his english blends.

Billy Budd I am interested to try as well.

I have tried Pirate Kake and this was what I was trying to explain when I found blends flavorful but a bit "whispy".

Could it be the very high Latakia (75%?) content that has this blend lacking body?

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Excited to have a resource when I have more questions.
Matt

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
To me latakia has a heavy mouthfeel, perhaps because of the way it seems to coat the inside of the mouth and the way it lingers.

Mar 1, 2014
I'll put in another good word for Ten Russians. While Gaslight is my favourite thus far because it seems more focused on being a pure campfire experience, Ten Russians has the top spot in flavour, and it's well known for being heavy on nicotine as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I highly recommend Nat Sherman's 536. It's not Lat forward but is a superb and refined blend.

mjzupon

Lurker
Aug 18, 2014
I've actually got some Nat Shermans 536 Empire English in a mason jar right now!

Picked it up on my last trip back east for a cousins wedding.

Will have to revisit this one for sure.

Thanks for the rec
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.