(25 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by 05venturer
  • Latest reply from erichbaumer
  1. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Need some help here friends.

About 8 months ago when I started smoking a pipe and joined this forum I was smoking mostly Aro's and CH. I have since tried an awful lot of different tobaccos and several pipes. As most of you know I am very fond of my MM Cobs and pretty much smoke them exclusively.
    Now back to the tobacco, I find myself moving away from aro's and into a few different types of baccy. I have found that at this time I do not really care for Virginia or Perique much at all. FMC has become my tobacco of choice over the past month or so, I find the Original Frog Morton actually a bit bland compared to FMC.
    Now I am wondering if I could get some recommendations of tobacco that would be similar to FMC, I think it is the Latakia flavor that I am starting to really like.
    Looks like I am gonna have to revisit the Nightcap and EMP that I jarred up months ago.
    Thanks in advance all.

Kent

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Kent, sounds like it's time for you to step up to some fuller English blends.

The EMP is a regular in my stable, but EMP does not have much latakia -- more of a virginia forward blend with orientals and just a bit of latakia.

The Nightcap amps up the latakia and IMO, provides a richer taste, thus more in line to what I think you're looking for. Since you have some Nightcap already, I'd definitely suggest you give it a try and see what you think.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions here from folks who smoke a lot more latakia blends than I do, so I'll make a couple suggestions; both are robust Sutliff blends:

Sutliff No. 5 - A robust English blend with character. Plenty of Latakia, Pressed Virginia and Burley provide the base. Perfect for fans of Dunhill My Mixture #965.

Sutliff Bosphorus Cruise - Mixture of Oriental, Latakia, and Red Virginia. A bit lighter on the latakia than the No. 5, yet full flavored, with enough latakia to meld well with the other leaves.

At about $6 a can, I've found both to be a very good smoke and great values. If either is bit heavy for your taste, you can always mix in a bit of Carter Hall to tone it down a little.

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

chervokas

Login to Send PM

I'm only a couple of months in to regular pipe smoking after 30 years of cigar smoking and I'm finding I love English blend with a strong latakia presence. EMP is definitely not one of those--there's a little latakia in the tin aroma, but not much in the smoke. For a perfectly balanced English smoke that's not overkill with the latakia, but which is still lat heavy, I'm absolutely thrilled with H&H Magnum Opus; amazing balance between the orientals and the latakia, and a very dry smoke as in not much sweetness, which to me kind of clears out space for the smokiness earthiness of the latakia. For more of a lat bomb I've quite enjoyed McClelland Blue Mountain, though it's a much more one dimensional and sweeter smoke.

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. barleynbaccy

barleynbaccy

Login to Send PM

Sutliff No. 5 - A robust English blend with character. Plenty of Latakia, Pressed Virginia and Burley provide the base. Perfect for fans of Dunhill My Mixture #965.

Sutliff Bosphorus Cruise - Mixture of Oriental, Latakia, and Red Virginia. A bit lighter on the latakia than the No. 5, yet full flavored, with enough latakia to meld well with the other leaves.

No.5 is the one I always give as an example. If you like FMC, I think BC is pretty close to what FMC would be without the whiskey.

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks so far guys. I need to check my cellar I believe I have a tin of BC in there also.
    Keep em coming

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

supdog

Login to Send PM

McClelland bulk 5125 Coyote Classic, I find it similar to FMC. Another fav of mine is H&H Ambassador's blend.

Posted 6 years ago #
  7. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try 3 Oaks.

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peterson's Old Dublin and MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 6 years ago #
  9. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

just got a tin of Old Dublin in the mail that I got off ebay (for the collectible tin) and smoked a bowl and that is really good. Pretty much fits my tastes (for now). Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I feel a TAD coming on!

Posted 6 years ago #
  10. salewis

salewis

Login to Send PM

Try GLP Westminster, McCleland's 3 Oaks Syrian or Blue Mountain or if you like a oriental forward latakia blend Dunhill London Mixture or Gawith's Squadron Leader.

Posted 6 years ago #
  11. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm with supdog, I immediately thought of Coyote Classic, so +1 there. And Roth's Sutliff suggestions are good as well.

=D

Posted 6 years ago #
  12. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Boswell Countryside is nice, and pretty well rounded.

Posted 6 years ago #
  13. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just pulled a tin of HH 10 to Midnight from the cellar, after bowl one it was pretty tasy.

Posted 6 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

drcarlo

Login to Send PM

EMP is more charakterized by its orientals. The Latakia is just keeping the mixture together. I can highly recommend it. I smoke EMP every morning.

A Latakia mixture I'd like to recommend is Rattray's 7 Reserve. Dunhill MM965 is also an excellent choice.

Posted 6 years ago #
  15. jfox520

jfox520

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 on HH 10 to Midnight

Tobacco Reviews https://jfox520.blogspot.com/
    Over 10,000 page views.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  16. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just finished up a bowl of Coyote Classic, that was another fine recommendation. :puffpipe:

Posted 6 years ago #
  17. sallow

sallow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I must recommend GL Pease Quiet Nights.

Posted 6 years ago #
  18. yaddy306

yaddy306

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am also looking for latakia recommendations.

My first foray into latakia started with a bulk from a b&m.
    It tasted very incense-y, if that makes sense. I don't like this flavour.

Is it the latakia that makes it taste like incense?
    If so, then I don't think I'm a fan of latakia blends.
    Is it orientals?
    I've read that EMP and others might have that incense taste from the orientals.

Please recommend a non incense type mild latakia for me to try.

Posted 6 years ago #
  19. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

The incense taste and aroma comes from combining Latakia with an Oriental.
    Exactly which ones, I don't know; but probably Cyprian Latakia and Izmir.
    Send a PM to blendtobac here at PipesMagazine.com. He knows all about it.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 6 years ago #
  20. phil22

phil22

Login to Send PM

Yaddy...try Yale Mixture from C & D. It is an underrated blend in my opinion. A smooth Latakia and VA blend.

Posted 6 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

drcarlo

Login to Send PM

I would suggest Dunhill My Mixture 965.

It's a wonderful latakiabomb!

Posted 6 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

chervokas

Login to Send PM

I am also looking for latakia recommendations.

My first foray into latakia started with a bulk from a b&m.
    It tasted very incense-y, if that makes sense. I don't like this flavour.

Is it the latakia that makes it taste like incense?
    If so, then I don't think I'm a fan of latakia blends.
    Is it orientals?
    I've read that EMP and others might have that incense taste from the orientals.

Please recommend a non incense type mild latakia for me to try.

The incense taste and aroma comes from combining Latakia with an Oriental.
    Exactly which ones, I don't know; but probably Cyprian Latakia and Izmir.

I think that's right about the Orientals and Lat delivering the "incense" aroma. Personally I love that and so a blend like H&H Magnum Opus, which delivers that in spades, is great for me.

For someone like yaddy306 who is looking for none of that but something with Lat without that incense tang, I'd recommend something like C&D Black Duck, it's a bit of a taste-alike for old Rattray's Black Mallory. While there's a hint of Orientals in it it's not Izmir or whatever delivers that sort of aroma, and the blend is heavy on unsweetened black and brown Cavendish-cured Kentucky burley mixed with Lat and other Turkish and Oriental tobaccos. It's rich and full-bodied and delivers in the Lat department, but it's not an incense-scented English.

Posted 6 years ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

Love the briar

Login to Send PM

Pirate kake is my favorite, I love any heavy Latikia blend. But all in all I must say that if you love Latikia Pirate kake will not disappoint you. Remember that this is what I like and just a recommendation.

Posted 6 years ago #
  24. yaddy306

yaddy306

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the suggestions, chervokas and phil22.
    I can't find Black Duck or Yale on my favourite site, but I'll keep looking.

Cortez, I'll take your advice and pm blendtobac.

Posted 6 years ago #
  25. erichbaumer

erichbaumer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You could also try something like C&D Star of the East, which is mostly if not only red virginias and latakia. I think I remember reading somewhere that its around 50% lat, but I still find it rather interesting and even complex when considering the simplicity of the blend. One of my favorites, along with Westminster, 965 and Nightcap.

"I don't want any of your statistics; I took your whole batch and lit my pipe with it." -Mark Twain
    Posted 6 years ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   username, doug535, lawdawg, mso489, jaytex969, milehighpiper, jeff540, the85boro, haparnold, cigrmaster, disinformatique, kylef, burleyboy