PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I can't help but wonder if the dreadful goings on in Syria lately might affect world supplies of Latakia tobacco. I am of course assuming that it is only grown in that region though it could be grown and processed anywhere for all I know.
What is the word on the grapevine?
Regards,
Jay.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Syrian latakia hasn't been grown in years and likely never will again. There is a little left in warehouses of a previous crop but when that is gone that's it. Cyprian latakia production is alive and well so there is no worry about running out of latakia.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I just did a quick internet search and read that tobacco is apparently still exported from the region, though as you chaps say, Latakia tobacco is grown mainly in Cyprus.
Interestingly (or not as the case may be), there is a perfume made that emulates the fragrance of Latakia tobacco!Fumerie Turque (Turkish Smoke).
Regards,
Jay.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Not all is lost as Syria tries to build a cigar production from Latakia. I haven´t read about it in a year or so but at the start of 2015 it made the news. Although I would prefered Latakia pipe tobacco much more it´s good to hear that they try to rebuild the industry.
One of the main ingredients used to flavour Latakia tobacco is the resin of the Pistachio plant which grows very slowly. Too bad they burned it all to the ground in the past as a protest against the government.... :crying:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
There is a burgeoning cigar industry in the port city of Latakia. The spicy tobacco we are used to is another thing entirely. Sadly, we probably will never see that condiment tobacco again.

Status
Not open for further replies.