PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Until I joined this forum I had never smoked flake tobacco or smoked tobacco with Perique or tobacco with high percentage of Lat.
Now I have really developed a taste for Lat and Perique and I like flake tobacco. I have noticed though that most of the flake tobacco's seem to be Virginias (I'm not a big Virginia fan).
So my question is to you seasoned flake smokers.

What brands can I buy that are flake, 40% or more Lat, and contain Perique?

Jul 15, 2011
I don't know if the percentage of Latakia is quite what you are looking for, but the only tobacco that I can think of off the top of my head that fits all your criteria is GL Pease Quiet Nights. I think all of his tobaccos in the Old London Series are presented in a sort of flake format, so you may want to check out what other tobaccos there are in the series and see if something there fits the bill.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
What brands can I buy that are flake, 40% or more Lat, and contain Perique?
Damned few. Flake latakia blends are few and far between, anyway. If you don't insist on flakes, you will find more things to try.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
The only flakes containing Latakia that I can think of are Esoterica Penzance and Samuel Gawith Balkan Flake. Balkan Flake contains a fair amount of Latakia and is a good deep, rich and cool smoke.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Damned few. Flake latakia blends are few and far between, anyway. If you don't insist on flakes, you will find more things to try.
Exactly, like P&W 400.
As far as Latakia flakes - Penzance, Special Latakia Flake, McConnells Latakia Flake, Krumble Kake, Balkan Flake, Lancers Slices, Quiet Nights and more that I'm forgetting.
That's not counting cakes and broken flakes, that would be a long list.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Yeah, when you get into crumble cakes as well as flakes you then add Penzance,and broken flakes add Captain Earle's Ten Russians. Both lat bombs, but no perique.
Samuel Gawith Balkan Flake

A lovely blend but, again, no perique.
For lat and perique, of course, there's always Dunhill Nightcap.

jameral

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
Another lat bomb crumble cake is C&D Pirate Kake. It has latakia, burley, and turkish in the blend. It is somewhat one dimensional in flavor, but a good smoke nonetheless.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
It's been awhile since I've had it, but C&D Bow Legged Bear was another favorite. It's a crumble cake and very nice full flavor. I have no idea what the percentage of latakia is but it's definitely noticable and has perique as well.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I wouldn't call it a Lat Bomb but GLP Sextant has plenty of it and some Dark-Fired Kentucky and will kick you in the face in a number of interesting ways. It's flake cut, too.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
+1 to that, too. I finally got some pure perique when I started messing around with blending and it is hard now not to add a pinch of it to everything!

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Why not buy some Perique and add it to a lat based tobacco you like?
+1 taerin ...very good suggestion because it wouldn't be a waste of money as I really like Perique and as Baron says, likely will be temped to add it to lots of blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.