PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
7140348D-1FC6-4108-96E2-96ABDE7B2203-40945-00004DFDD4B66FD1_zps8cfe36e4.jpg
Theo Van Kirk navigator of The Enola Gay at a gun show with my grandson . He died at 93, Thank God we had men like him in WWII, Rest In Peace.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
They were brave men, who did what had to be done, they took many thousands of lives....but they also saved many millions of lives, both American and Japanese.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
"Thank God we had men like him in WWII..."
Too true, Bradley.
I'm glad you had the opportunity to meet him and I know you shook his hand and said, "Thank you."
Good looking grandson, pal.
Fnord

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
That couldn't have been an easy job. I wonder if the historical significance of their role crossed their mind during the flight. A lot of people had to be a part of creating and developing the bombs, but only a handful could actually say they took it there and dropped it. They became a direct player in one of the biggest moments in human history.
HUMAN history, not just American history. That is some real heavy shit to carry with you for a lifetime.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
We owe so much to guys like this....... Its easy for us to forget how much HELL they went through to protect our freedoms, which sadly, most of us take for granted. R.I.P. Mr. Van Kirk, and THANK YOU!! :worship:

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
RIP Mr. Van Kirk, and thank you. Is it just me, or does the grandson in the photo look like he gets it?
Miserable decision, but between thousands or millions...

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Sim he knows his Great Grandfather, Grand Father, Father served in War time, loves history, had a lot of conversations with him about what Freedom costs, yes he gets it. Thanks for the observation.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
That's good news. I wish we had more young men like him.
My uncle was a bomb-aimer/navigator in a Wellington, my oapa a medic at Tobruk. My mom was little, she just got bombed in Manchester. Lived down the street from the 'secret' Fairey factory everybody knew about. The Germans tried many times, but as far as she remembers, never hit it. Not sure if that actually helped or hurt the Allies - Faireys were crap! Maybe except for that one fortunate torpedo...

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
The crew were fully briefed on their mission, didn't know if they would survive, and undertook it anyway. The meaning of heroism.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Rsuninv:
There's also a wonderful B-29 memorial at the airport in Great Bend, Kansas. So many crews trained there during WWII and Paul Tibbets was there with the Enola Gay crew for over a year.
http://b29memorial.com/
SW Kansas is chockablock full of small, one traffic light towns with aging, now unusable 10,000 foot runways to accommodate all of the four engine heavies built in Wichita during the war. (Quality control pilots had to land somewhere when things went sideways.)
Fnord

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
My grandfather was a Marine in WWII and never talked a lot about his service, but I remember him telling me that he saw the Enola Gay take off on it's infamous mission. At that time, most people on the island had no idea what was happening or what the mission was until the deed had been done. Just thinking of that gives me the chills. May Theo rest in peace, along with all of the other brave souls who have defended our country and our freedoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.