PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

onyrleft

Lurker
Mar 19, 2019
Doing a little research on this box of pipes I have, I found a Larsen 107 -- the little information I've seen so far suggests that this may be somewhat rare, can anyone confirm? It's a very nice looking piece, caught my untrained eye immediately.
(working on images here, I'll get it)

02MFiH9

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
To quote myself,
"An early Larsen shape 107. The pipe is a Sven Knudsen shape, and one not that often see. In fact, I can remember only four or five being on ebay in the last four years. Even more interesting, this particular pipe is a variation of the shape shown in the 1963 W.O. Larsen catalog, where the bowl is a cylinder; while with this example it's tapered. Another detail, the varying thickness of the rim makes me think this pipe was likely made by Sven Knudsen. The stem also plays an integral role in the design by defining the proportionality between the bowl height, shank length, and the flat tapered part of the stem. It is a very special pipe. As I've said before, I think one could make the argument that Sixten Ivarsson's work for Stanwell, Sven Knudsen's work for Larsen, and Gert Holbek's work for PipeDan all belong in the same group, as the most important artists in the Early Danish Modern period."
supr107-013.jpg

And also,
"The shape is the Sven Knudsen designed 107, but this one is noticeably different than the first one in several respects. So, while this was a "Catalog Shape" one can see these Larsen pipes were very much hand made, artisan pieces. Terrific blast on this pipe, and what I've heard anecdotally, was that Sven Knudsen did all the blasts at Stanwell's facilities. "
supr107-2-0151.jpg

See the 1963 Larsen catalog here, the 107 is on page 10.
http://www.danishpipemakers.com/pdf/wo1.pdf
See also,
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Knudsen,_Sven
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.