Tags:  No tags yet. 

Lapsang Souchong Smokey Tea

(31 posts)
  • Started 9 months ago by bluto
  • Latest reply from crashthegrey
  1. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

I read a recommendation on here about a Smokey black tea from China , so I ordered it up and tried it out , its pretty good .

The aroma in the bag ( it’s loose tea ) is very Smokey piney , it steeps perfectly in a pot of just under boiling hot water and tastes best without anything added .

Very pleasant Smokey tastes and smell in the cup , not unlike drinking a liquid version of Latakia , I thought I might get a little sick of it , but nope , it’s grown on me ..

“listen: there’s a hell
    of a good universe next door; let’s go”
    Posted 9 months ago #
  2. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

Rather enjoy it myself. Be careful...for us obsessive types, tea can become a whole new frontier.

Posted 9 months ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

molach95

Login to Send PM

There was a good channel on Youtube called Tea 'n' Tobacco. Unfortunately it is no longer active.

Posted 9 months ago #
  4. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

Its good to discover these things . Tried out green tea for awhile and various black teas . Its nice to drink in the afternoon , no caffeine overload .

Posted 9 months ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

molach95

Login to Send PM

Those "Russian caravan" teas you can get from various companies are also quite nice I think. It has a degree of smokiness as it contains Lapsang Souchong along with other leaves. I always drink tea when I smoke a pipe, but due to my UK/Irish heritage that means it's just standard black tea from teabags with milk. I prefer coffee with cigars.

Posted 9 months ago #
  6. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

My parents were tea fanatics , good old orange pekoe everyday

And they were fussy about it too , it had to be the best Ceylon black tea with cream and sugar or nothing..

Posted 9 months ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

molach95

Login to Send PM

I'm no tea expert but I think I prefer black teas from Assam and Ceylon because that's what I've grown up drinking, albeit not the best quality examples. We start drinking tea young in the UK; my first cup of tea with milk and sugar must have been at age 5 or 6, although I don't take sugar anymore. There is something called "builder's tea" here made by steeping some very strong tea with lots of sugar and enough milk to colour, as traditionally drunk by workmen and tradesmen.

Posted 9 months ago #
  8. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can find Lapsang in different degrees of smokiness, as well. Some is very lightly smoked and some much heavier. It is good on its own. When made into Caravan, it is often blended with a Keemun and an oolong, although there are as many recipes as you can imagine, and then is very good with a bit of milk or cream. I buy Lapsang by the pound and never weary of it, but I have a tea rotation as many have tobacco rotations.

Posted 9 months ago #
  9. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love it as well.

Jason
    Posted 9 months ago #
  10. johnmosesbrowning

johnmosesbrowning

Login to Send PM

I started drinking it after repeatedly seeing it referenced in tasting notes of the smoky whiskies I prefer. I'd never heard of it but like tea well enough so I tracked some down hoping I'd enjoy it but mostly so I'd get the reference. I like it best in the winter months.

Posted 9 months ago #
  11. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

Hey , rotation , right , I didn’t realize

I don’t want lapsang everyday , so its chai sometimes , green tea , maybe plain old black tea .

But , if I didn’t pick up the exact right brand of orange pekoe to bring home for my parents , I would get a swift kick in the nuts .

Posted 9 months ago #
  12. techie

techie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I drink tea when smoking a pipe, but have not tried Lapsang. I'll need to look into it.

Posted 9 months ago #
  13. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

You talked me into the lapsang. Having some right now. Thanks!

Posted 9 months ago #
  14. dino

dino

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke mostly English blends with lots of Orientals and Latakia (primarily Syrian). A Sherlockian friend introduced me to a tea called Baker Street Afternoon Blend from Upton Tea Imports. It is Lapsang, Keemun and Darjeeling, and complements the tobacco beautifully.

Posted 9 months ago #
  15. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dino, that sounds great, except hold the latakia. My tea collection is similar to my tobacco collection. But my wife lets me enjoy it indoors with her.

Posted 9 months ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

jmd110

Login to Send PM

LS was my favorite tea. When visiting China I asked for some to take home. They drink green tea. After some special arrangements, I was able to take some basket fired tea home. I am now drinking Lavender Earl Grey, Twinings new blend. It is very aromatic and quite a departure from LS. I also like the Lipton loose tea. Very pedestrian, but a good cup.

Posted 9 months ago #
  17. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wait until you guys discover puerh tea. Compressed and aged. I age teas and tobacco, and have a cellar for each. 20 year kunming aged ancient arbor high elevation YiWu, yes please.

Posted 9 months ago #
  18. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

What is puerh comparable to ?

Posted 9 months ago #
  19. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is ripe and raw puerh, shou and sheng respectively. I'll skip too much detail on ripe, as it is a later developed technique originally meant to pre-age puerh, and tends to taste of compost and mushrooms. Not bad, by any means, but a different beast. Raw, or sheng puerh, is like green tea and oolong made a great love child. Obviously, any description is a generalization as there are distinct differences in altitude and region, but they tend to be a little bitter when young, and mellow with age. They start like a strong green tea, fair amount of bitterness and a full mouthfeel. As they age, a natural sweetness can come to the front, and the bitterness calms, astringency reduces, and darken in color and fill that mouthfeel into a soupy goodness. If you are interested, check out Yunnan Sourcing, the whole company is run by Scott, and his wife, with his in-laws handling most of the China side of the business for him. He has fantastic samplers which can introduce you to the hobby. You'll want to look into gong fu brewing, small 5-10g brews of multiple steeps.

Posted 9 months ago #
  20. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like the Harney&Sons version.

The tin States: Pine Smoke and Bacon with some dark stone fruit notes.

Dark stone Fruit, I don’t know what that is but the stuff is good.

The real question is how you brew it. Harvey and Sons recommends 5 minutes. But online tea seller/clubs/forums say 3 minutes. I like the 5 V’s. The 3.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 9 months ago #
  21. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How long you brew any tea is a matter of personal preference. Many retailers will tell you what they recommend, but always experiment on your own. For more delicate teas, also try reducing the temperature of your water when you brew. Different temperatures and brew times can completely alter the flavor of a given tea or blend. With lapsang, I tend toward just off boil and 5 minutes as well.

Posted 9 months ago #
  22. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

I like just off boil for steeping , too hot and it gets bitter , tannins ..

Sometimes I add a little cold water to the leaves first and also use a heavy tea pot so there’s little risk of too hot

Thanks for tea ideas , gotta check them out

Posted 9 months ago #
  23. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Many green teas benefit from much cooler temperatures, and then there is always the fun of cold brew tea.

Posted 9 months ago #
  24. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

Sounds good , cold brew coffee is also worth trying

As is roasting your own beans

Posted 9 months ago #
  25. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Crash, puerh with the taste of compost you say? Now, there's an irresistible hook. Seriously, tried one once and it wasn't for me, though no doubt wasn't a particularly high grade one. Am, though, a black tea guy.

Posted 9 months ago #
  26. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

Green tea is pretty awesome , the leaves steep and when you look in the pot , you can see actual leaves

Anybody tried Greek coffee , pretty much just hot water and ground beans mixed in a copper pot , I was kinda turned off the first few times , until I found the real deal and wow , so THATS Greek coffee ..

Posted 9 months ago #
  27. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoked everything:

Ham
    Bacon
    Salmon
    Oysters
    And of course Lapsang!

Dot
    Posted 9 months ago #
  28. cwpiperman

cwpiperman

Login to Send PM

Just ordered some Lapsang Souchong from Upton.....gotta love it...

Black Frigate Scurvy Dog, 4th Class...Savvy?

Posted 9 months ago #
  29. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I realize this is rather sacrilegious to hard core tea enthusiasts, but I drink a lot of blends from David's Tea. 2 months ago, I ceased my sweet tea consumption of nearly a gallon per day completely. I was slowly, but surely, killing myself with sugar. I drank water only for awhile but saw a David's Tea shop at the Fashion Mall when visiting the Apple Store.

David's Tea has a number of more traditional White, Green, Black teas but also have what they call herbal teas which tend to be fruitier. According to their info, no sugars are added. Some contain a very low amount of natural fruit sugar.

I drink a combination of their regular teas and keep a 32 oz container going of the herbal teas. Perhaps when I grow up, I will develop a taste for the finer traditional teas. I do believe what I'm drinking is much, much healthier than the sweet tea I was previously drinking.

Posted 9 months ago #
  30. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

They are creating tea blends out of everything these days , rose hips , raspberry leaves , labrador tea .. one is never stuck for a choice

Posted 9 months ago #
  31. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am glad to hear that you kicked the sweet tea. It is a wonderful substance but not at a gallon a day. These tisanes, or herbal teas, are definitely a good replacement.

Posted 9 months ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   odobenus, craig61a, disinformatique, condorlover1