Tags:  No tags yet. 

Lane's BCA

(13 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by chuckp
  • Latest reply from anthonyrosenthal74
  1. chuckp

chuckp

Login to Send PM

Well for my first tobacco to ever smoke I have ordered Lane BCA, a black cavendish.....has anyone ever smoked this tobacco? I don't know if it's a good beginner or not but I'll find out.

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. mrbigglesworth

Lee

Login to Send PM

It's very mild and sweet. But not flavored with cherry or peach or any of that crap. It's a good, smooth smoke with no bite, and a great room note. Lane's 1Q is also a good beginner, though many tend to burn it too hot and not get the flavors it has. 1Q also has black cavendish in it. I would think you would enjoy either.

BCA is one of those I like to have handy because its good for a number of reasons; new friends can smoke it easily, and it blends well with just about anything. If you pick up a new tobacco to try and it seems a little harsh, you can add some BCA to it and it will mellow it out.

Just a note, I like tea, Coke, and Pepsis a lot, but found that drinking those with aromatics to be very cloying and sticky tasting. So I prefer to drink water with aromatics as it cleanses the pallet. I'll often enjoy a sweet drink like Coke Pepsi or tea with my english tobaccos.

Welcome to the forum, and happy pipe smoking!

"I don’t want any of your statistics; I took your whole batch and lit my pipe with it." - Mark Twain
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

BCA is one of the few aros I still keep around. And it's way better than 1Q. I didn't like 1Q at all.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. chuckp

chuckp

Login to Send PM

Thanks....having never smoked, I've no need or desire to use high nicotine tobaccos, purely for aroma and I guess taste. Don't know where BCA falls in the nocotine category, but not real concerned at the moment. If I continue this, I just know the low nicotine variety is what I'd prefer.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. tightline55

tightline55

Login to Send PM

Speaking for myself, I started with these sweet tobaccos, but over time have graduated to the heartier English blends. There is nothing wrong with BCA or 1Q, but I think as you develop your palate by trying different tobaccos, it is very possible that you will find something you prefer other than Aromatics.Enjoy the journey, take your time.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

BCA is great on its own, but I prefer to mix it 50/50 with 1Q for a great taste and everyone around you will love the aroma.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't know where BCA falls in the nocotine category, but not real concerned at the moment.

If I had to guess on a scale of 1-10, it would be about a 2. Very low nicotine, at least to me.

BCA is an interesting one. I tend to like tobacco with some serious tobacco taste. Heavy, hearty, good Burley blends... but BCA once in awhile is a nice little break for the palate. Hints of vanilla, an ever so slight floral tone.

I think you picked a great beginner tobacco. One suggestion, try drying it out a bit. The flavor is even better in my opinion, and it will burn coooooool.

"People are not made better by a briar. An idiot before smoking a pipe is still an idiot after smoking a pipe, they're just more likely to speak less drivel with something in their mouth. For that, all society should be grateful."

- Bob Runowski
    Posted 3 years ago #
  8. gtclark

gtclark

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoked BCA almost exclusively for my first year or two. In fact, BCA was the tobacco that convinced me to keep piping, after a few bad experiences with cheap OTC blends. I still remember the first time I started tasting hints of coffee, cocoa, and brown sugar instead of the hot acrid steam I had been getting, and I was hooked.

Unfortunately, my tastes changed, and I found myself wanting more complex flavors. However, BCA still holds a special place in my memory, and I'll still smoke a half bowl now and then for old times sake.

In summary, great first choice! It's about the friendliest tobacco you can find (especially with a little drying time, as skrapsoftobacco mentioned)

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

michiganlover

Login to Send PM

BCA is delicious, as is 1Q. Both are good places to start, as are the classic OTCs like Carter Hall and Prince Albert.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

and the delicious and underrated Five Brothers

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  11. brudnod

Spencer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

BCA is also good to be mixed with other tobaccos. It is fire-cured which may point you in the direction of other blends that may delight you.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. okiescout

okiescout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

BCA is not a bad aromatic.

It is fire-cured which may point you in the direction of other blends that may delight you.
    +1 Spencer.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years. Pray as if you were to die tomorrow."
    Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can't go wrong with BCA. I have more BCA than any other aromatic for a good reason... it's just that dang good! Answering your question, it's actually great for a beginner. It's very forgiving. Easy to pack, easy to light and keep lit. I do let mine sit out for a while, because it is a bit on the moist side. But once it dries out a bit, it's an easy smoke with no bite. I reach for it when I have a sweet tooth. It also leaves a pleasant room note. And as was said by others, it mixes wonderfully with other blends. Any time I feel the urge to sweeten up a blend, I mix in a little BCA. You made a good choice. Enjoy the heck out of it!

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   odobenus, craig61a, disinformatique, condorlover1