PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2013
Is it just me, or do all Lane tobaccos taste ashy? 1-Q tasted like straight ash and I tried Captain Black Royal today. Tastes a little better but still cheap and ashy. I can only make out the slightest vanilla taste. Anyone else have this issue?

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I have smoke both of the ones mentioned and several others, none of which tastes ashy to me … unless it was at the very bottom of the bowl when I might accidently suck some ash through the stem. :rofl:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have 1-Q, LL-7. and Burley Without Bite in my rotation, as well as Five Bros. imported by Lane,

and have had several of their other blends in the past. I've not had a problem with ashy flavor.

The Burley makes a good blending tobacco, to stretch other more expensive blends or use up

remaining dregs of other tobaccos. I just don't get an ashy flavor from any of these.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
I'd say you probably hit it on the head. I have 1Q, RLP-6, BLWB, and BCA on hand right now and haven't noticed any ashy taste to any of them.

Jun 9, 2013
I thought it was my pipe at first since I burnt a bowl of tobacco real bad. But I cleaned it with a salt and alcohol treatment and I was still getting the ashy taste.

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
Funny you posted this problem. Smoked pounds of both 1Q and CB and have never had any ashy taste before until tonight. Probably halfway through the bowl of 1Q I noticed the ashy taste coming on gave it a decent little tamp dumped the ash as I always do and it helped but took awhile for the flavor to come back.....very vexing and interesting. :crazy:
John

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
Lane's 1Q , RPL 6 and BCA are 3 of my favourite tobacco's . Can't say I find any of them ashy. I find them all very pleasant smokes .

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I have had this problem with both 1Q and RLP-6. I think I have nailed down what causes it for me. First, I get this if I smoke it to hot. Both of these tobaccos, 1Q especially, seem to be very sensitive to loosing their flavor when smoked hot, and once I get it to hot it is hard to get it to come back. Second, I have noticed that it is worse when I get the tail end of what I have on hand, I think it is when it starts to get to dry for my smoking style. Third, If I over use a pipe, to many smokes without enough rest, it seems to get even worse.
I am starting to believe that different tobaccos behave differently for different people based upon each different smokers different smoking styles, different pack techniques, and different cadences. So it might be different for you and others. (I enjoyed using the word different in this paragraph.)

cmontes1

Lurker
Jun 16, 2013
good
06.jpg

07.jpg

Jun 9, 2013
Jnyder, I think the problems you addressed are the same problems I am having. I currently have but one pipe and I smoke it everyday. It never gets moist, but perhaps I need to let it rest for a while. Its about halfway through the bowl when I can detect any flavor at all for either tobaccos. Perhaps its time for a new pipe.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Did not know that Lane made anything other than bulk tobacco.

Neither did my tobacconist in VA. That blend placed 3rd in the last John Cotton #1 throwdown (Princes Street placed 1st). The two blends are nothing alike. The Leo blend is more of a VA to my tastes with very little latakia. It's a nice change of pace for summer.

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
Did not know that Lane made anything other than bulk tobacco.
Here in Tucker, GA (just outside of Atlanta) we make Lane Bulk, Captain Black, Sir Walter Raleigh, Half & Half, Paladin, Velvet, Granger, and Smoker's Pride.
Our parent company's facilities in Denmark make Peter Stokkebye Bulk, Borkum Riff, Escudo, Orlik, Skandinavik, Stanwell, Erinmore, Balkan Sasieni, W.O. Larson, Sail, Five Brothers and Leo.

Status
Not open for further replies.