PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj11

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2013
About a year ago I bought a tin of Lane Limited Ready Rubbed after reading all the hype about a legendary tobacco coming back. Upon arrival I cracked open the tin and was disappointed so I put the tin on the back shelf.
For the most part I am an English blend guy but lately I have burned out on the blend. So I was looking through my collection for something different and decided to fill a bowl of Lane Limited Ready Rub one more time. Now I am in love! Nothing fancy just a nice burley blend.
Will I buy another tin? Probably not. But, I was surprised by how much I am enjoying this old favorite. At least until I go back to English blends but I will keep LLRR in rotation.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Tried it, it was ok but I wouldn't buy more. Tried the Sutliff match and liked it better. Taste very close but it's a cube cut more like the original, and the smoking properties are more to my liking.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I really like the LLRR. If it were available at the local retail stores, it would be a fixture in my regular rotation.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I recently received a tub of the LLRR and really like it. I also have 16 ounces of the Sutliff Match which I put in an old ERR tub to fool myself. Their both great blends. I give the edge to LLRR for taste and the edge to the Sutliff Match for price. So far as to which blend is closest to the original ERR, as to taste I'd say the LLRR. As to cut I'd say the Sutliff Match. Regardless, I'd recommend you get both blends, their that good.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Makes no sense to me, considering Lane has the original recipe, that they chose to change the cut. Makes it smoke faster/hotter/bite more than the original or Sutliff's match.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The Sutliff Match is much closer in taste to the LLRR. LLRR is more cocoa than molasses and the original, like the Sutliff, is more molasses than cocoa. I've smoked pounds of both, done back to back comparisons of both matches with the originals, and with each other. If Lane used the original formula, I sure can't tell it. It's more than just the cut being different.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I have to agree with Jim on this one. Though I'm not really a fan of either the match or LLRR, the Sutliff match is closer to the original in flavor all day long.
From a cut perspective, if you could take the cut of Sir Walter Raleigh and the toppings and casing for the Sutliff match, you would be almost spot on to the original ERR'd.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Just ordered some of the Sutliff Match. Sounds like a good lazy cob smoke to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.